MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Gibson Les Pauls
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #61 (permalink)

Re: Met Ace Frehley Tonight.

Can we point out that he can charge whatever he wants for his autograph, but he's still an anti-semitic douche? I mean his douche title has nothing to do with the autographs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
Just want to point out that this is completely a response to the ridiculous Ebay prices on Ace's part and not a money thing. Ace isn't broke. In fact he is worth about 13 million dollars at the moment, which is after self-financing his album with distribution and a partial world tour. Also, he gets paid $75,000 every single time KISS goes on stage in make-up. No, not a typo, 75 Grand. That doesn't include promotions and all the other royalties from KISS or merchandise/ticket sales of his own. That is just KISS stepping on stage, even if only to play 3 songs. A large part of this is royalties as a founding member and part of it is the fact that Ace owns half the rights to his makeup. Basically when KISS uses it they pay him and when he uses it, he pays KISS. Fair play considering he rarely uses the design on his own.

Again, people who call Ace a douche should realize that $30 for a signed photo is dirt cheap for a convention.

Last edited by chequepoint; 10-10-2010 at 08:42 AM.
chequepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-10-2010, 01:35 AM   #62 (permalink)

I saw Les Paul play a few years ago...he played 2 shows that night...finished up at about mid night...and then spent a couple hours signing anything anyone wanted to sign that was willing to wait in line...he must have left the jazz club close to 4am...in his early 90s...and he didn't charge a penny to meet/greet/sign anything.

And Ace...well...I don't know what to say.
2007 Flying V
HungryBenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 02:01 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chequepoint View Post
Can we point out that he can charge whatever he wants for his autograph, but he's still an anti-semetic douche?
That's an interesting comment... has Ace been known to make anti-semitic remarks? Very interesting indeed, considering the many years that he worked with Chaim Witz and Stanley Eisen -- better known as Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley. Just curious.

"Die 4 U" now available at Bandcamp
Phoenix59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:02 AM   #64 (permalink)

As the author of this thread, I feel compelled to address a few things. I decided to remove my original comments for several reasons. I admit I was a bit disappointed initially; however Ace Frehley has been and still remains one of my all time Guitar Heroes. $500 would not change my mind. If the current memorabilia market can fetch that kind of money for his signature then so be it. Free market, supply and demand, and all that good stuff. The last thing I wanted to do is create an assault blog on Ace Frehley. I’ll take the fall for that, and chalk it up to a rookie blogger mistake. I typically don’t post to often because of this very reason.

The My Les Paul Forum has been a very useful tool for me as a 37 year old newbie. Reading the posts from those with years of experience is part of my daily routine. I am grateful for those who share their knowledge and experience. That’s what this forum is and should remain. My mistake for making it anything else.

AceLuek, I visit your website on youtube daily as well, and enjoy learning and watching. I was a bit disappointed in your comment. As I mentioned in my post, Ace was cool, he signed my other stuff with no problem, and I enjoyed the experience in meeting him. No whining, no regrets, love staring at my new Ace autograph pic, as do each of my kids.
Let’s get back to the reason why we all visit the MYLESPAULFORUM…………..The Love for the Gibson Les Paul, and all who play them……Thanks
jday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 07:41 AM   #65 (permalink)
ACE FREHLEY'S BASTARD SON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jday View Post
As the author of this thread, I feel compelled to address a few things. I decided to remove my original comments for several reasons. I admit I was a bit disappointed initially; however Ace Frehley has been and still remains one of my all time Guitar Heroes. $500 would not change my mind. If the current memorabilia market can fetch that kind of money for his signature then so be it. Free market, supply and demand, and all that good stuff. The last thing I wanted to do is create an assault blog on Ace Frehley. I’ll take the fall for that, and chalk it up to a rookie blogger mistake. I typically don’t post to often because of this very reason.

The My Les Paul Forum has been a very useful tool for me as a 37 year old newbie. Reading the posts from those with years of experience is part of my daily routine. I am grateful for those who share their knowledge and experience. That’s what this forum is and should remain. My mistake for making it anything else.

AceLuek, I visit your website on youtube daily as well, and enjoy learning and watching. I was a bit disappointed in your comment. As I mentioned in my post, Ace was cool, he signed my other stuff with no problem, and I enjoyed the experience in meeting him. No whining, no regrets, love staring at my new Ace autograph pic, as do each of my kids.
Let’s get back to the reason why we all visit the MYLESPAULFORUM…………..The Love for the Gibson Les Paul, and all who play them……Thanks
jday.... That was after hearing all of the people bash Ace.. I was a little frustrated.

'08 Gibson Explorer
'01 Gibson LP Standard Tobacco
'10 Gibson LP Traditional Plus Desert
'10 Gibson LP R8 VOS Lemon
'12 Gibson LP VOS Budokan
'12 Gibson SG 61 Reissue

'09 Epiphone LP
'10 Epiphone SG G-400
'11 Epiphone Thunderbird IV Bass
'13 Epiphone Dot Black Royale
'14 GMW Randy Rhoads PDV
'09 Warmoth Soloist
ACELUEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix59 View Post
That's an interesting comment... has Ace been known to make anti-semitic remarks? Very interesting indeed, considering the many years that he worked with Chaim Witz and Stanley Eisen -- better known as Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley. Just curious.
His interactions with them are the source of most of his Anti-Semitic remarks. His love of nazi memorabilia is well known. They call him Race Frehley for a reason.
chequepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #67 (permalink)

I've never really understood adult signature seekers.
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zplapplap View Post
I've never really understood adult signature seekers.
How about adult signature guitar buyers?
Jakeislove is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #69 (permalink)
ACE FREHLEY'S BASTARD SON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeislove View Post
How about adult signature guitar buyers?
Same thing.. Everyone is screwed up..

'08 Gibson Explorer
'01 Gibson LP Standard Tobacco
'10 Gibson LP Traditional Plus Desert
'10 Gibson LP R8 VOS Lemon
'12 Gibson LP VOS Budokan
'12 Gibson SG 61 Reissue

'09 Epiphone LP
'10 Epiphone SG G-400
'11 Epiphone Thunderbird IV Bass
'13 Epiphone Dot Black Royale
'14 GMW Randy Rhoads PDV
'09 Warmoth Soloist
ACELUEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #70 (permalink)

We've all seen tons of memorabilia on E-bay with people charging a premium for Les Paul's signature.

I'm not a fan but it seems to me people are being a bit harsh in this particular case.
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chequepoint View Post
His interactions with them are the source of most of his Anti-Semitic remarks. His love of nazi memorabilia is well known. They call him Race Frehley for a reason.
Truth is that a lot of that came from him trying to piss off Gene and Paul was certainly guilty of helping him at times and was no angel himself. Want proof? Here's a picture of Paul and Peter that I *believe* Ace took. So it wasn't all just Ace, although he certainly had an odd sense of humor with the whole thing and I can get why some people would be offended. Still, being interested in Nazi history and being nasty to Gene Simmons doesn't make you racist, although Ace can certainly be a prick, I won't argue that. Here's the pic, see that guy on the right? Stanley the Parrot.

Back to the topic. I can see both sides of the story, but overall I agree with the choice. If I was as famous as Ace, I probably wouldn't sign a guitar for any price because of Ebay. Congrats on meeting Ace too, hope it was a good experience overall! Don't worry about starting this thread, it created an interesting discussion and I for one am glad you made it.
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #72 (permalink)

I will qualify my statements- I got my first LP in 1977 because of Ace and was a huge fan all through the 70's, and 80's...... I've met him a couple of times once by chance at the Chicago Music Exchange and another after a show in Dallas.

The first time he was pretty cool, the second he was totally wasted and a prick.
I still count him as an early influence but I am under no illusions as to him being the greatest ever, no guitarist will ever be able to claim that.

Just a guitar bum...........
lp_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom53 View Post
Back in 1974 my girlfriend (then) met them in North Carolina after a show. (she got me an advanced copy of "Dressed to Kill" signed by the all of them. It was Peter Criss's birthday) I still have it.

I remember her saying how they just wanted to go to bed (sleep) because they were so tired from the tour. This was when they were an opening act.

I got to see them with New York Dolls and Blue Oyster Cult... Cult was headlining around the same time in North Carolina.

Then, again in 1974, on Halloween night I was on stage with them at the Agora in Columbus, Ohio... The best Halloween night/show I have ever been to. They were the headliners then. Nobody wanted them to open, because they couldn't follow their show....!

Love 'em or hate 'em they were (are) a fun band. And a side note for all those who "hate" Kiss. My wife is one of "those" people. BUT when one of their songs would be playing on the radio I would ask her if she liked that song without telling her who it is. She always said yes, untill I told her who it was...

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...tos/KISS-1.jpg
Cool post, thank you.
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch0922 View Post
Cool post, thank you.
Bad enough you had to quote that pic so we could have the dubious pleasure of seeing it twice. A photo that proved Kiss was far better off in costume, because they obviously had a) bizarre if not horrible taste in clothing; and, b) absolutely no idea that high water pants went the way of the Edsel about three years or so after the Edsel went the way of the Edsel. (And who the hell suggested to Peter Criss that he'd look great in saddle shoes?)

When I’m singing blues, I’m singing life. People that can’t stand to listen to the blues, they’ve got to be phonies.---Etta James
Without a guitar, I'm like a poet with no hands.---Mike Bloomfield.
Without music I may feel blind, atrophied, incompetent, inexistent.---Duke Ellington.

https://soundcloud.com/easyace/the-last-man-standing
EasyAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyAce View Post
Bad enough you had to quote that pic so we could have the dubious pleasure of seeing it twice. A photo that proved Kiss was far better off in costume, because they obviously had a) bizarre if not horrible taste in clothing; and, b) absolutely no idea that high water pants went the way of the Edsel about three years or so after the Edsel went the way of the Edsel. (And who the hell suggested to Peter Criss that he'd look great in saddle shoes?)
The photo was from the album cover "Dressed to Kill" (1975).........I know you probably know that, but your post leaves one to wonder what you do or don't know.

If you dissect every musician you like to see what they are made of, you find that there few left that meet your expectations. Musicians are people, just like the members of this forum (btw, there are a few muscians on this website). Some are just fortunate enough to have music as their profession. Beyond that, musicians live and die just like everyone else. When you get that figured out, you can enjoy the music and the show and not let it go beyond that. Your guitar heros are parents, bothers, sisters, sons, daughters, aunts, uncles, (grandmothers and grandfathers ). Musicians pay taxes, do household chores, go to the doctor, have responsiblities etc etc. SO, the old saying, judge not lest ye be judged.

Can I get an Amen?
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #76 (permalink)
~darkburst lover~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch0922 View Post
Can I get an Amen?
amen, brother....
'04 Gibson Custom Shop Slash Standard #064
'04 Larrivee LV-09ce (collectors edition) #1
Marshall AFD100 head
Marshall purple 425a slant cab
skingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #77 (permalink)

I completely understand both sides. Don't know about $500 but it's a business and people are making $$$ off of their autographs. No big company would allow others to make $$$ off their name right? So why should individual stars allow it without getting something in return. McDonalds has lots of $$$ but you'd get your ass sued if you made $$$ off the Golden Arches!!!

It's the principle, and I don't think it should matter one bit if the artist has millions or is broke. It's THEIR name and what THEY'VE accomplished that others are making $$$ off of.

Again, thanks e-bay!!!
92Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #78 (permalink)

Comments from Ace's camp:

Thanks to everyone... | Facebook
ianm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #79 (permalink)

Never understood why people want autographs.
pmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #80 (permalink)

I don't even think Mr. Frehley was a great lead geetarist, and his solo album just sucked. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought his and Criss' solo albums. Chalk it up to being 10 years old at the time, I guess. Now, finding out that he's a racist shitbag, that only brings more disdain.

Either way, I don't want anybody's signature on my geetars. I don't understand why somebody wants a nice geetar all fouled up with marker, no matter who signs it, and nobody's autograph is worth more than a handshake to me. Now, if I could get hold of Rick Nielsen's 5-neck geetar (with no autograph, of course), THAT would be something.

Geetars:
'14 Seagull S6
'13 Gibson SG Future
'12 Gibson LP Jr Special
'12 Fender Jazzmaster CP
'09 Gibson LP Studio Silverburst
'09 Fender Tele Std
'00 Epiphone LP Custom
'97 Simon & Patrick Woodland 12
'86 Kramer Focus 5000
'85 Kramer JK1000
'84 Kramer Focus 1000
'83 Kramer Focus 2000
'70 Norma Barney Kessel

Amps:
Egnater Tweaker
AX84 HiOctane
VOX AC4TV
Crate V33-212
Roland MicroCube

Drums:
Roland TD-9SX - they go to 11
kysrsoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #81 (permalink)

I quite like Anomaly!! Cool songs and pretty much versatile!

Apart from "Rock Soldiers" in the 80s (I believe) I've never heard anything from him. We used to play Cold Gin cool song. So I was positively surprised. . .

What else has been published recently? Slash's Album is quite "nice", nothing compared to his Snakepit albums. Black Label Society? Well, wonderfully great solos, but the songs don't quite stick to ya. Black Country Communion is good! Especially the first two songs! Govt' Mule's latest was dissapointing. Now I'm waiting for the new Alter Bridge.

Whatever, sorry I'm drifting off.

Nevertheless, I hope you meeting Ace was a worthwhile experience. I guess we are just all jealous! He is, without doubt, one of a kind!
Leiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 07:18 AM   #82 (permalink)

geetar
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #83 (permalink)

Why would his camp defend the practice if they didn't know it was distasteful?

It would be better to not sign guitars at all if e-bay is such a consideration for him.
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #84 (permalink)

My question is....do people actually pay this for a signature? It's insane.

eBay resellers or not I think this is pretty sh*tty.
kingedb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #85 (permalink)
Pix

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L. Fudge View Post
**** him, douche bag. Those shit heads don't look like fans though, after the dollar for sure. He can tell too I'm sure. I have heard that Ted is quite the douche though.

As for Ace, I'm gonna say I could maybe understand if he wanted 50 or 100 bucks per sign, just for his time ya know. He's an old fart who probably just wants to go home after the show. Or maybe not?? Who knows. I do think it would be obnoxious when the people with an arm full of shit come walking up, one is enough. Those ebay shit heads don't help either, I bet he can spot them a mile away by now.

It's still bullshit though, damn rockstars.

AKA - Marshallstakkk.
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #86 (permalink)
Pix

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmonk View Post
Never understood why people want autographs.
I feel the same way...

AKA - Marshallstakkk.
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #87 (permalink)
Epi Verification Expert

I wouldn't even let that douche sign my guitar if he paid me $500 for it.

Shifty's Channel
-=[Shifty]=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #88 (permalink)

I just looked up completed auctions on eBay and his autograph doesnt bring too much money. There was one poster that went for some bucks though...

On a side note, after watching that Nugent vid...About 10 years ago I went to a book signing by Nugent on a whim, stood in line for an hour with my refin '59 LP Junior that happened to be in my trunk, just to see that he was charging 50 bucks to sign anything but his book. No way I was going to pay. So as I'm there talking to his handler he comes over away from the table, leaving a line of about 50 people asking whats going on. He asks to see my guitar, plays a couple of licks, tels me that he cant sign the guitar but grabs an 8X10, signs it and gives me a pick. No charge. I thougnt that was pretty cool.
27sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #89 (permalink)
SFK
V.I.P. Member

I'm a huge fan. I loved the 70's KISS.

But if you don't want people making money off your autograph, just don't do autographs period.

I've never really understood the point of them anyway.
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysrsoze View Post
I don't even think Mr. Frehley was a great lead geetarist, and his solo album just sucked. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought his and Criss' solo albums. Chalk it up to being 10 years old at the time, I guess. Now, finding out that he's a racist shitbag, that only brings more disdain.
Where do you get he's a racist? What has Ace said that proves that? Are you going off of Peter and Paul wearing some nazi outfits? Does that make him a racist in your book?
indeedido is offline   Reply With Quote