MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > Other Guitars > Fender
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Strat mods

Hey guys,
Thinking about possible mods to a strat. Had some suggestions given to me over at another forum about what I could do for my strat that I'm having masterbuilt for me by John Cruz. Among some that sounded awesome where the mod that're on the mayer and johnson strats that make the second tone knob a treble bleed.
Also, the gilmour mod, which gives you a switch that allows you to use both the front and back pups at ones.
I've heard of these for a while, and I think they're kinda cool, but does any body have any other ideas? I wanna consider everything I could do that'd be useful to me...
I play a lot of stratty blues stuff such as SRV, mayer, hendrix, the usual.
Lemme know,
Thanks
mqguitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Re: Strat mods

If its "masterbuilt" for you, shouldnt he be "masterbuidling" it how you want it?

Dont like custom stuff myself- what happens if it arrives and you dont like it?

Anyways- Strats. Pickups, highly subjective. Wiring, assume this will be high quality so you wont need to change switch, cap, pots. I like to wire the bridge pickup to the second tone control, and the other two to the first- or leave the middle pup out of the circuit. Trem block- assume it will have a full sized billet block, steel (or unobtanium). If it doesnt, thats the first thing. IMHO.

If you masterbuild a strat, I wonder what you do for the rest fo the day.

Last edited by NoStatic; 06-29-2010 at 10:16 AM.
NoStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStatic View Post
Dont like custom stuff myself- what happens if it arrives and you dont like it?
I used to have that fear... but then I realized, if you tell john cruz what you like... he's not going to produce a bad guitar... there's a reason he has the status and popularity he does as a masterbuilder.
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

One thing I like on strats if running the pickups on series. I have a selector switch on mine that allows me to get the neck in series with the middle, middle in series with the bridge, bridge in series with the neck, and bridge in series with the neck with the middle parallel. I actually use these all the time, I'm not particularly fond of the 2 and 4 positions on a Strat, but in series they have a more powerful, less quacky sound. The American Deluxe have a different switch wiring that allows for some of the same settings. The switch I have on mine, a Deaf Eddie 'Jersey Mod', replaces a tone pot, and works in conjunction with the 5-way switch to get alot more available combinations (more than just the series settings) It sounds complicated, but I use almost all of the combos it allows

FAT-O Custom Schemes - the Memphis Mods

http://soundcloud.com/benjammin420/c-blues
Benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

did ya read this?? Strat Mods to Improve Primary Tone
overdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqguitarman View Post
I used to have that fear... but then I realized, if you tell john cruz what you like... he's not going to produce a bad guitar... there's a reason he has the status and popularity he does as a masterbuilder.
Not so ! depends on what a person considers a bad guitar and IMO buying a MB is a waste of money a Squier CV stock . and Danelectro cool cat pedals with a nice Fender tube RI will do what ya want, and you will have thousands of $ left over for lessons.
From the sounds of what you want, I would say ya can't play yet and could use lessons.

The reason he has his status , is IMO because of the marking hype and baby boomers with more money than brains!
overdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

^^ Haha, ok... I appreciate your opinion, but I always hated my squier... And I've been playing for six years...
It's just kind of a personal fulfillment kinda thing. He did the SRV replica, JM's black strat, and it'd be cool to have one. And the Cruz strats, and other custom shop strats that I've played and heard are unbelievable, and among the best sounding guitars I've ever come across. While there are other guitars that certainly can match up to that, I've never seen a squier, or anything on that level that stands a chance... but that's just my opinion.
Unread 07-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

How do you even get an appointment with a masterbuilder? Do you have to go into a Fender Custom Shop dealer?
DrakeZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to AngryHatter

A Lindy Fralin blender pot is the same as the gilmour thing you mentioned.
Vintage springs.
AngryHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeZero View Post
How do you even get an appointment with a masterbuilder? Do you have to go into a Fender Custom Shop dealer?
Yeah, you just contact one of the places on the fender website who's an authorized dealer. There was one right next to my house, so I went there. They can get a quote for your specs, and then you can order it if you want. Then I think you can talk to the actual master builder later once they start your guitar, since the wait list is pretty long.
Unread 07-16-2010, 11:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

My Strat has the first tone control as a master for all 3 pickups and the second blends the neck pick up to the bridge to give the bridge more fatness.

Goatbreath.
goatbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriver View Post
Not so ! depends on what a person considers a bad guitar and IMO buying a MB is a waste of money a Squier CV stock . and Danelectro cool cat pedals with a nice Fender tube RI will do what ya want, and you will have thousands of $ left over for lessons.
From the sounds of what you want, I would say ya can't play yet and could use lessons.
It's a Strat. Now, that said... unless we're talking a replica of somebody's guitar made to match every little scratch and spec... how can you really "masterbuild" a Strat? I guess these days words have so many different meanings, hard to find out what people really mean.

So, I'm gonna masterwrite this post, and agree with the previous masterwriter, the CV Squiers are really incredible for the money, they got the tone and the looks and feel great. Under 400 bucks, way cheaper if you get one used.....

If you really wanna hyper-masterbuilt your guitar, get some warmoth parts or some really nice fender parts and have fun.... you'll get the very same thing without paying the very same (inflated) price.

This is so ridiculous. The original "vintage" fenders were built by unskilled labor in a place that, under today's standards, would amount to little more than a sweat shop. Just priced to move and move fast, to keep the company going. The design works, the concept works, the wood combination worked and most important, the PLAYERS made them work. Don't fall for inflated prices and a bunch of sweet talk about master building a fender, what a load of bullshit!
Unread 07-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Just a stray thought

Since a Strat has the "electrics" mounted to the pickguard...
Might it not be interesting to have different guards, each with different pick ups - hot, not hot, Texas BBQ, Vintage, and different switching arrangements? Then if each assembly has a quick disconnect, you could swap them out (changing your sound) at will. You could go from jazz clean to country twang to rock to metal in just a few minutes.

SteveGangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleDog View Post
how can you really "masterbuild" a Strat? I guess these days words have so many different meanings, hard to find out what people really mean.
Exactly my thoughts! What makes a "masterbuilt" custom shop strat so much better than my '55 replica partscaster? None of the custom shop fenders I've played feel half as good as my $1700 pile of aftermarket parts...
Laservampire is offline   Reply With Quote