MyLesPaul.com

MyLesPaul.com (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/)
-   Epiphone Les Pauls (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/)
-   -   Why China made Epi's inferior to Korean ??? (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/97786-why-china-made-epis-inferior-korean.html)

paruwi 07-10-2010 06:32 PM

Re: Why China made Epi's inferior to Korean ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by shtdaprdtr (Post 1903057)
apparently now they make them aged (although I know there is no chance in hell you'll get the guitar pictured as that is a real one).
Gibson Les Paul 59 Historic Reissue Aged on Trade:lol:Tang.com

I highly doubt you get a real Epi/Gibson from Trade-Tang

:lol::lol::lol:

alpinestudio 07-10-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shtdaprdtr (Post 1903060)
they are closer to the Gibsons than before because the Gibsons today are worse than before. Also..you couldnt find the joins in the back because they were on the sides.

They are closer to Gibsons, since Gibson owns the factory in China. They train them and use Gibson's own manufacturing techniques and machines/tools, instead of having to outsource to the Korean Samick factory prior, hence knobs etc are in a different spot.

Some of the joints are on the sides of some of the Epi LP's, but my Epi Slash clearly shows 1 joint in the back. It's a 2 piece, but the 1st piece took up 3/4 of the body. No back veneer on mine.

However, I did have a "limited edition" lp with gold hardware and it had the most horrible finish and horrible sounding guitar I've ever played. The Slash Epi was quite the opposite. It was resonant, sounded great, played great, and I did not find a single flaw.

shtdaprdtr 07-10-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpinestudio (Post 1903101)
They are closer to Gibsons, since Gibson owns the factory in China. They train them and use Gibson's own manufacturing techniques and machines/tools, instead of having to outsource to the Korean Samick factory prior, hence knobs etc are in a different spot.

Some of the joints are on the sides of some of the Epi LP's, but my Epi Slash clearly shows 1 joint in the back. It's a 2 piece, but the 1st piece took up 3/4 of the body. No back veneer on mine.

However, I did have a "limited edition" lp with gold hardware and it had the most horrible finish and horrible sounding guitar I've ever played. The Slash Epi was quite the opposite. It was resonant, sounded great, played great, and I did not find a single flaw.

Yes but you paid $800 for a Slash epi which is why you have the joined back as opposed to paying 5-600 for 5 pieces of a fake mahogany substitute..you could have gotten a used Gibson in that price range.

alpinestudio 07-10-2010 09:11 PM

Main reason for the Slash epi aside from the sound is the neck profile. I can't get a thick neck like that, unless I go with an R8.

-=[Shifty]=- 07-11-2010 04:59 AM

Quote:

You're aware that there were, and still are, far more factories building Epis than just Samick.

Quote:

This is odd, all the other Slash sigs I've seen around here had a veneer on the back and mostly 3 piece bodies.

VIREBEL661 07-12-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlashAppetite (Post 1902604)
I personally think the chinese ones are finished better than the majority of Korean ones. However I still feel that the Korean ones were made better especially the earlier you go.
Epi Les Pauls were first brought out in 89. They were brought out as an affordable Les Paul so people would still buy a 'Gibson' product rather than another make. These early ones were exceptionally well made so that they could compete with other makes and still be high quality. Over the years the quality has dropped off as they have made shortcuts in places etc. The same thing happened with squier guitars. If you find an early one of them they are fantastic.:

+1... This happens in a mess of industries... Product at launch produced to a higher standard to set up a high quality brand image. Squier is a great example - early 80's Squiers were all made in Japan AFAIK and are world class guitars in every way. I remember people looking down their noses at them because they were a "cheap Japanese Squier"... Interesting how guitars from Japan now have the respect they deserve... There are some FANTASTIC and world class guitars from China available now at amazing prices - all luthier hand made - Eastman...

rockstar232007 07-12-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlashAppetite (Post 1902708)
All right, that's your opinion, I have mine. I've had and played a lot of Epis and I can feel & tell the difference. But each to their own, I don't particularly want to start an argument. :slash:

Not trying to argue, but it IS marketing!

There isn't any difference whatsoever between a "Custom Shop"/"Limited Edition" Epiphone LP and a "Standard" LP. In most cases, the "Limited Edition" lable pertains to the color only.

I've known a couple people who've owned "Limited Edition" Epi LPs, and the were no better than my '02 Epi LP Standard Plus, in fact, mine was actually better!

vortexx 07-14-2010 10:01 AM

Well, I guess there is a "Epiphone" custom shop but it's in the US (Gibson) who made those $6000. Epiphone coronet-like guitars (was it the wilshire?)

sasquatch 07-14-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MASSMARK (Post 1902516)
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what all the talk is about the older Korean Les Pauls are much better quality than the now present China made ones?

Am i missing something because visited a guitar store today, inspected about 6 China made Les Pauls, and in my opinion I think they are closer to the Gibson than before. a major difference to me is that every China made Epi seems much more consistant with the positioning of the volume and tone knobs, and they are in the correct position in relation to the tail bridge piece, much lower down than the Earlier Korean Les Pauls.

Of the Les Pauls I inspected, i couldn't find joins in the wood at the back, led me to believe that alot now are one piece. I just dont see any flaws or quality issue as far as looks go, perhaps it all in the elcetrics???

:hmm:

Epiphone now has two Factories in Qingdao China.
The one with 'Gibson' Qingdao and then the new one built in 2008, 'Epiphone' Qingdao.
Both plants built and staffed by Gibson with Mike Voltz as head luthier
so I suppose they are helping keep things in check.