• 1 Post By BluesmanRob
  • 1 Post By paruwi
  • 2 Post By arc anjil
  • 1 Post By Pflug
  • 1 Post By rlh5599
  • 2 Post By SJM
  • 1 Post By rlh5599

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro neck profile

Hello everyone! This is my first post here on mylespaul.com. I am interested in a new Epi LP with a thick neck. I like the specs of the Tribute Plus the best, but it specs the thin tapered 60's neck and I do not like thin necks. Any opinions on that neck on the Tribute Plus? Is it thin and tapered?

Getting to my question about the Traditional Pro. The Traditional Pro specs a thin tapered D shape neck, but I keep reading on forums and on the message board on the Epi website that the Pro has a chunky neck. One guy even said on a forum the Traditional Pro has a rounded neck shape and a 14" radius. Are there any Traditional Pro owners who can shed light on the neck profile?

Is it a thin taper D shape? Does it taper?

Or is it a chunky round back with no taper? Measurements?

I have read so many reports that conflict with the specs sheet it has me wondering if Epi made a misprint. They do not even spec the fretboard radius for the Traditional Pro.

I have a really nice Epi LP Custom silverburst Ltd., but I don't like the thin neck or the 12" radius. I plan to put a thick ebony board with a 10-16 compound radius on whatever I can find with a thick neck profile. I'd even take an LP 100 bolt on if the neck is fat and not tapered.
tele-bastard likes this.
BluesmanRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
€piWiki Team

Re: Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro neck profile

Hi Rob

and Welcome here at MLP

The todays Epiphones nearly all are equipped with the '60s slim taper' type necks, though they still can vary from model to model...

One of the few LPs with thicker neck-profile will be the Joe Bonnamassa Goldtop, but you have to search for them, cause they're discontinued, IMO

Another option will be the 'lower priced' Gibsons, there are more models with 50s type necks....

Happy hunting..
hoss49 likes this.

paruwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a Standard Pro LP. It has a thin neck. I played a Trad Pro at GC last week (or was it the week before?). It had a noticeably thicker neck than my LP.

YMMV, I guess.....
rlh5599 and tele-bastard like this.

For this is the vixen, Maeve,
Of the "Order of The Falcon's Talon".
Sweet as honey, and warm like the sun.
arc anjil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to someone to hopefully post some measurements at the 1st and 12th fret with some calipers. Or maybe someone could even take some solid wire, if a T Pro owner has no calipers, and bend it 'til it almost touches on the front and back and measure the gap of the wire. A gap on one wire of about a fingernail thick on the back and have the other end touching the FB. I'm many miles from the nearest GC so I can't go in and check one out myself.

I'll probably wait on something else though. I talked to a salesman at GC over the phone today. Once I finally convinced him to go over and check the traditional pro out he told me it did taper down some. Just before getting him to check it out he had been telling me it was a 59 roundback and it did not taper. However, he did say it felt thicker than the other Epi' LP necks. The Traditional Pro doesn't spec the 60's thin taper, but it does spec a thin taper D shape. I have noticed on the Epi' site some models will spec 60's right in the detail and others do not.

I don't like the zebra pickups, but I guess some paint could fix that because I do like the alnico II specs. I had plans on going with SD alnico II pickups. That could save some cash.

I already checked out the Joe Bonamassa model online and it sounds nice, but I don't want an artist model and I don't want to pull the FB on a $600 LP. This is why a 100 with a roundback would fit my needs the best. I was wanting to do all the binding and do a rear tummy contour too. I wouldn't mind carving up a cheap guitar. If I end up going with a traditional pro I doubt I'll do a tummy contour. I'll likely just do the custom FB with block inlays and binding. I may do headstock binding too. If my skills grow during my current project on a relatives Paul.

I currently have the 1950's fatback on all my Strats. It is 1 full inch at the 1st and 12th frets. No taper at all. It is awesome. Warmoth is supposed to be getting a very similar version of the LP back in their product line in the next couple months. I may wait, but I really do not want to put that much cash into an LP since I am more of a Strat guy and a blues player.

If Epi' would just put a '58 roundback on the Tribute Plus it would be the perfect LP for me to mod. Or they could just put a 10-16 compound Rosewood FB on it with the 58 roundback and that would be good enough for me. I could put my own jumbo frets in it.

Does anyone know of an older Epi LP model with the roundback profile in a studio or a 100? That would suit my needs best.
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Standards, Studios. Special IIs and the LP 100 are listed as having C profile necks. All other Epi LPs are listed as 1960s Slim Taper D and the ZW Bullseye is listed as a Slim Taper C.
Barcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm due to go home tomorrow and have a new Trad Pro waiting for me in the box- I can compare it to a Standard, Standard Plus Top Pro, Special I and II, Nightfall, and G400 Pro

The Special II GT lists a "slim taper" neck with the 14" fingerboard radius
tele-bastard likes this.
Pflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Pflug, that will be very much appreciated. If you have a set of calipers and plan to measure take caution not to damage your finish. You can use masking tape on the FB and on the back of the neck to prevent scratching from the calipers. To prevent damage from the tape you can stick it to your pants, shirt, etc... until most of the adhesive strength is gone. Just need enough to get it to barely hold in place long enough to take the measurement.

If you don't have calipers and don't plan on removing the strings please do not go out of your way to take measurements.

First time I get a new guitar (and it is rare because I prefer to custom build) the light strings are the first thing to go. On my Epi Custom Ltd. silverburst I removed the strings, put new unslotted saddles on and installed a bone nut blank. I slotted the nut wider and properly (Epi's slots were too narrow of a string path) and I widened the string path at the bridge by slotting the unslotted saddles (the strings no longer go over the middle of each saddle). The string path now uses the FB surface as it should. No narrow cramped up feel. I may be able to post up a picture if you guys want me to. This would be a nice LP for me if the neck were thicker.
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

welcome aboard Rob!! I hope this helps:
2003 Epi LP Standard
width at nut= 1.675"
thickness at 1st fret= .83"
thickness at 12th fret= .97"

2011 Epi LP Trad Pro
width at nut= 1.675"
thickness at 1st fret= .92"
thickness at 12th fret= 1.025

just for comparison
1996 Epi Riviera
width at nut= 1.6
thickness at 1st fret= .87
thickness at 12th fret= .94

The Trad Pro feels like a baseball bat, very pronounced, heavy "D" shape.
The Standard feels more like a slim "C"

I have no idea what the fretboard radius is, but I would presume its a 12"..
tele-bastard likes this.
MOJO 5E3 Deluxe-MOJO 5F1
2012 Epiphone AJ-220s Vintage Burst
2013 Epiphone EL-00Pro Vintage Burst

Ralph Henderson

Statistics show 1 in 4 people suffer from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're OK....then it's probably you.....
rlh5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
SJM
Elitist Club Member

I have a 2010 Trad Pro myself. I believe you'll find the TP has a 14" Fretboard Radius along with a long neck tenon. Helluva nice LP actually.
rlh5599 and tele-bastard like this.

'52 Martin D-28
'70 Fender Telecaster
'78 Ibanez Pro MDL 2671/S-AV
'02 Epiphone LP Elite Standard VSB
'07 Epiphone LP Elitist Standard + Top FCB
'10 Epiphone LP 57 Gold Top(Upgraded version)
'10 Epiphone LP Standard Plain Top HB
'12 Epiphone LP Tribute Plus 60's FCB
'12 Epiphone LP Ace Budokan
'11 Gibson LP JB Studio
'12 Gibson Traditional LP Plus Iced Tea

A few Amps too.
SJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM View Post
I have a 2010 Trad Pro myself. I believe you'll find the TP has a 14" Fretboard Radius along with a long neck tenon. Helluva nice LP actually.
I defer to SJM on the fretboard radius. I agree it's a helluva nice guitar.
Haven't found anything I need or want to upgrade. One of the best values in new guitars. even though they are out of production, there are still a few NOS ones around. My local GC's have several...
tele-bastard likes this.
MOJO 5E3 Deluxe-MOJO 5F1

Ralph Henderson

Statistics show 1 in 4 people suffer from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're OK....then it's probably you.....
Unread 08-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

rlh5599, thank you very much for those measurements. The radius doesn't matter to me because the stock rosewood board is coming off and a thicker ebony board with a 10-16 or a 9-15 compound radius is going on. If I can get enough extra FB thickness I'll remove the taper, maybe. I don't like any taper anymore. The 1" thick Warmoth Strat necks I have are great! I have long fingers so I need 'em thick. After playing on the non tapered necks I wonder why they ever put a taper on a neck. Having it thick at the lower frets makes playing chords so much easier. I like the thumb over feel better too. And I do a lot of thumb over covering Jimi Hendrix and SRV. Likely two names not mentioned much on an LP forum. HAHAHA

SJM, the long tenon sounds nice. I may pick one up. However, I like bolt on necks too. Great tone and easy to work on. But I know. Most LP guys can't stand bolts holding on an LP neck.

Now I gotta get rid of my LP custom Ltd. silverburst.

If you guys are interested in this FB mod here are more details. I found a place that can CNC machine a fretboard to about whatever specs you want (except for inlays). The binding must also be cut/routed separately if desired. The boards do come with faux binding, but the faux can be cut off or the FB can be ordered with the slots all the way out (no faux binding). They can do fret slotting to any depth and slot it with the radius of the board. They can remove length at the nut if doing a custom compensated nut is desired. They can do whatever scale length is needed (24.75 for the LP). They offer a thickness of up to .275 if using their own wood supply. They can do up to .400 thick, I think, if the wood is customer supplied.
However, that is way thick! They can do whatever nut width is needed as well. And they can do custom radiuses from 9" constant to flat constant and any compound radius from 9" to flat or anything between. So no one with an Epi is stuck with a 12" if you want something different.

I like the CNC stuff. Makes intonation so good having acurat fret slots.
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks to all you guys I have decided on the Traditional Pro. I did some research on the 50's roundback thickness and the Traditional Pro is right on with the 58 measurements. I don't know if the shape is the same, but that doesn't matter as much to me as the thickness. I like a thick D anyway. I wonder why Epi says it has a thin taper D?

The FB is speced as a 14" on an online retailer.

Do any of you know the exact model of Grover tuners that are on it? ratio?

Now to find a buyer for the Custom Ltd silverburst. I only need one Paul. I wish the Tribute Plus had the same neck as the Traditional Pro.
Unread 08-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yeppers.... this is the one you want.
2008 Epiphone SG400
2013 Gibson Les Paul LPJ (Cherry)
2006 Gibson Flying V Faded (Cherry)
2011 Fender Standard Ash Telecaster BSB FSR
2010 Fender Standard Telecaster (Burst)
2006 Fender Standard Telecaster (White)
2009 Fender Highway 1 Strat (Burst)
2010 Martin DX1AE

tele-bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
SJM
Elitist Club Member

MF has the Trad Pro on sale for $399 BTW.

BluesmanRob, the tuners are the same Grover Rotomatics, 14:1 ratio, used on most Epi's.

'52 Martin D-28
'70 Fender Telecaster
'78 Ibanez Pro MDL 2671/S-AV
'02 Epiphone LP Elite Standard VSB
'07 Epiphone LP Elitist Standard + Top FCB
'10 Epiphone LP 57 Gold Top(Upgraded version)
'10 Epiphone LP Standard Plain Top HB
'12 Epiphone LP Tribute Plus 60's FCB
'12 Epiphone LP Ace Budokan
'11 Gibson LP JB Studio
'12 Gibson Traditional LP Plus Iced Tea

A few Amps too.
SJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah I've been watching the MF price on the honey burst Trad Pro. I've been meaning to call and see if I can use a discount code or if one is coming soon. I was hoping the tuners were a higher ratio. Again the Tribute Plus has more to offer here too with the 18:1 and locking. I wish the T Plus had the thicker neck. It is the best bang for the buck for the 60's neck fans, IMO. Epi is putting out some nice stuff for the buck now.

I sent Epiphone a message a few days ago. Gibson customer service replied and said they'd send the message to the folks at Epi who make decisions on this stuff. I asked them to please put a 57-58 profile on a Tribute Plus and a compound FB too. And perhaps offer the fatback on a few other models too as an option. I don't know if they'll listen or not, but it will be nice if they do. At least nice for me. HAHAHA
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

I was wrappig my hand around several Epis this weekend in GuitarWorks. They didn't seem to have any Tributes but the Standards' necks where very similar to the Elitists and my R0V2. (ie not quite 60s slim but not 50s either, somewhere in between)

GEAR
2012 CS R8 Iced Tea from Eddie's Guitars
2010 CS R7 Gold Top from Eddies's Guitars
Taylor 110 Series Acoustic from Guitar Works
PRS SE 245
POD HD500
VOX Valvetronix VT30
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

KenG, the Traditional Pro is the one with the thick neck I was asking about. The Tribute Plus has the 60's thin taper.

Well guys I have changed my mind once again. I really am kind of afraid to put the heat to the fingerboard of a set neck LP. I am wanting to go with an LP 100. I want to buy one used and hack it up a bit to make it more useable for me. To get the thickness I want I plan to shim the neck with a 3/32 Walnut shim and finish it black. Then I'll put on the custom ebony fretboard at .275 thickness at nut end crown.

I have a couple questions on the Epi LP 100. Does anyone know the neck thickness at 1st and 12th? And is the LP 100 a full carved/arched top?
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

I don't know the thickness of the neck, but it feels closer to the standard than the T-Pro. The body is carved, but thinner than the set neck guitars..
LP-100 38mm
LP Standard 50.2mm
both measured at the upper strap button..
I couldn't get a measurement of the neck because I just eyeballed it at the music store..I carry a small rule to check nut width and body thickness...no calipers..
MOJO 5E3 Deluxe-MOJO 5F1

Ralph Henderson

Unread 08-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #19 (permalink)

rlh5599, thanks for that info on the LP 100! Wow the body is almost 1/2 an inch thinner. Is there enough meat in the body's neck pocket to remove 1/16 or so and not make it weak? And is there enough thickness of the neck's pocket contact to shave off 1/16 without getting into the profile of the neck?

Sorry for all the questions. The nearest music store is over 50 miles away. There used to be a music store about 10 miles away, but their high prices and the local economy shut it down.
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

I/m not going to a music store for awhile, but there is an ebay seller that might be willing to help, you could email em and find out. id is:
riceage-musicandmore
they sell broken guitars and parts, and seem very good to deal with.
MOJO 5E3 Deluxe-MOJO 5F1

Ralph Henderson

Tags
neck, profile, traditional pro