MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Epiphone Les Pauls
MLP Meet 2014 LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter
  
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Epiphone Les Paul Slash Goldtop - String buzz

Hi there

I've just recently purchased an Epiphone Les Paul Slash Goldtop - and I've had it for a week and I've noticed that there is severe string buzzing when I play anything below the 12th fret on the low E, A and G strings. I've never had to adjust anything on guitars I've bought in the past - but this is by far the highest tier guitar I own, so things may be different. Is this a common problem on new guitars? The string buzz is so bad that it stops chords from sounding out properly, and can even be heard when playing single strings fretting on the first 1-6 frets - I didn't realise this in store since I had demoed the slash signature tobacco burst and decided on the finish last...

Will getting the guitar professionally set up + new strings etc. help? I've never had to do this before...
bluepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on MyLesPaul.com
   
Unread 12-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: New Epiphone Les Paul Slash Goldtop - String buzz

You should definitely take it to a professional for a proper setup and probably change a fresh set of strings at the same time. They can check the bridge height, neck relief and set the intonation for you. It's a very nice guitar so unless you are used to working on guitars you shouldn't really attempt this yourself.
blusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
calibud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,500
Thanks: 88
Thanked 150 Times in 23 Posts
Re: New Epiphone Les Paul Slash Goldtop - String buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blusky View Post
You should definitely take it to a professional for a proper setup and probably change a fresh set of strings at the same time. They can check the bridge height, neck relief and set the intonation for you. It's a very nice guitar so unless you are used to working on guitars you shouldn't really attempt this yourself.
+1
If you can afford a slash goldtop you can afford a set up. It'll do wonders.
calibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
slash300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: my house
Posts: 663
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Re: New Epiphone Les Paul Slash Goldtop - String buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepalm View Post
Hi there

I've just recently purchased an Epiphone Les Paul Slash Goldtop - and I've had it for a week and I've noticed that there is severe string buzzing when I play anything below the 12th fret on the low E, A and G strings. I've never had to adjust anything on guitars I've bought in the past - but this is by far the highest tier guitar I own, so things may be different. Is this a common problem on new guitars? The string buzz is so bad that it stops chords from sounding out properly, and can even be heard when playing single strings fretting on the first 1-6 frets - I didn't realise this in store since I had demoed the slash signature tobacco burst and decided on the finish last...

Will getting the guitar professionally set up + new strings etc. help? I've never had to do this before...
well if you have the money. it will cost you around 100. I'd say do it yourself and spend the 100 on something else.

This is the order I would suggest you do it.
1) adjust the truss rod
2) adjust the action.

Up until now I have done all the setup of my guitars myself. Even though I'm a beginner ( 8 months experience).
The only time I took the guitar to the luthier was to change the nut.
slash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
samsnead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 147
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: New Epiphone Les Paul Slash Goldtop - String buzz

Take it to a pro, I bought the same guitar and it had some issues that needed to be resolved-twisted frets, crowning, cracks in the board etc.
samsnead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member
 
diceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montana
Posts: 29,913
Thanks: 1,212
Thanked 419 Times in 83 Posts
Re: New Epiphone Les Paul Slash Goldtop - String buzz

My luthier always does my initial setup. I tweak here and there. I've been playing for 15 years now, and I still don't do everything myself. You probably need your nut slots filed down some, and a little truss rod adjustment. WELL worth the money, in my opinion. You can probably get a little "crash course" in setups from whoever does it as well.

I never knew how good a guitar could play until I had a competent luthier go through one of my guitars. I took 4 more of my guitars to him the same week. Its not always wise to save a few bucks and do it yourself!

(Also - a full setup (truss, intonate, action) w/ nut work has never cost me more than $50-60USD)
diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 01:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: New Epiphone Les Paul Slash Goldtop - String buzz

Thanks for the replies - I've decided on getting it professionally done. All I'm wondering is where? I live in Boston and bought the guitar from Guitar Center - and they do offer set-ups from their tech center (or something along those lines). Would this be recommended? I have no idea about Guitar Centers reputation/level of professionalism since this is the first time I've dealt with them.

Thanks for the help...
bluepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 02:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Luthier V.I.P.
 
Roman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Shasta Lake
Posts: 6,643
Thanks: 76
Thanked 1,202 Times in 92 Posts
Re: New Epiphone Les Paul Slash Goldtop - String buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepalm View Post
Thanks for the replies - I've decided on getting it professionally done. All I'm wondering is where? I live in Boston and bought the guitar from Guitar Center - and they do offer set-ups from their tech center (or something along those lines). Would this be recommended? I have no idea about Guitar Centers reputation/level of professionalism since this is the first time I've dealt with them.

Thanks for the help...
NO! No GC techs. Find an independent good guy. talk to other players.

Or contact our own BCR Greg. he is in PA.
take a look at the epi thread as well, that is what the guitar needs.

Complete EPI custom setup



Roman
__________________
Factories build guitars for profit, Luthiers build them for players


Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Extremerocker827's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 818
Thanks: 16
Thanked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Re: New Epiphone Les Paul Slash Goldtop - String buzz

Don't go to GC for the setup!!! Do you have any independant mom and pop stores by ur house? THey are usually really good with services like that.
__________________


GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top(Cherry Sunburst)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah Pedal
Fender Super Champ XD(15 watts)
Digitech RP200A MultiEffects Pedal(For Sale)

Check out my playing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCmzk8BgSw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4n8tHNakEw
Extremerocker827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.


Our Network: PRS Guitar Forum | Luthier Forum | SG Guitar Forum | Marshall Amp Forum | Music Gear Forum | 7 String Guitar Forum | Acoustic Guitar Forum

MyLesPaul proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2006-2014, MyLesPaul.com. All Rights Reserved.