MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Epiphone Les Pauls
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

How easy is it to change the nut ?

I wanted to upgrade the nut to bone nut and wanted to know how easy it is to change it. Do I need special tools ? What glue is used to stick the new nut ? I have previousely changed the pickup rings on my guitar and I managed to do it by my self..and how easy is the nut replacement compared to that ?
Any one who has done this by themself please tell me things that I need to know . Thanks alot guys
slash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Akahito Send a message via Skype™ to Akahito
Re: How easy is it to change the nut ?

It's easy, you just need to be careful when removing the old nut. Check out the Complete EPI custom setup thread for good closeup pictures on pretty much everything you would need setting up a Paul (and most other guitars at the same), including changing the nut.

When you glue the new nut on, be sure to let the glue dry properly before you put the strings on. I know you easily get that "Ah what the heck, it'll stay, the strings'll hold it in place, I wanna try how it sounds NOW!" feeling, so definitely make sure it's dry and tight before you re-string it.
I just blew my nose, and it was a gorgeous shade of old growth medium complexioned Honduran.
Akahito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
2007 Tenson Classical Guitar
2008 Epiphone Les Paul (DiMarzio Super Distortion Pick Ups)
2008 Yamaha Pacifica 112

2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic

2012 Messina Classical Guitar
Canadian Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have just had my nut replaced. I decided to have a luthier do the job for me as I also wanted the neck and frets checked out and sorted out. It cost me 50, money well spent in my opinion.

In my opinion it's not the difficulty of the job, it's that the nut is a key component of the guitar and therefore deserves the utmost care in fitting.
Unread 11-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akahito View Post
It's easy, you just need to be careful when removing the old nut. Check out the Complete EPI custom setup thread for good closeup pictures on pretty much everything you would need setting up a Paul (and most other guitars at the same), including changing the nut.

When you glue the new nut on, be sure to let the glue dry properly before you put the strings on. I know you easily get that "Ah what the heck, it'll stay, the strings'll hold it in place, I wanna try how it sounds NOW!" feeling, so definitely make sure it's dry and tight before you re-string it.
Do you know where I can get a readily made nut , so all I have to do is glue it in without having to worry about string slots.. many thanks
Unread 11-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevics View Post
I have just had my nut replaced. I decided to have a luthier do the job for me as I also wanted the neck and frets checked out and sorted out. It cost me 50, money well spent in my opinion.

In my opinion it's not the difficulty of the job, it's that the nut is a key component of the guitar and therefore deserves the utmost care in fitting.
Yeah my friend but I have 2 years experience in electronics and DIY..So as long as I have the right tools I can do it myself.. 50 is too much to spend on something that you can do it yourself..but anyways some people are rich
Unread 11-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

You should be able to get nuts from any music store, but it might well be they just don't have the one you want in real bone. (In my town all stores stock are Fender type nuts, and assorted collections of the cheapo plastic nuts nobody wants. ) Call in your store and ask, and have them get you one. There will be some need for filing/sanding to fit the nut, most importantly to adjust the height of the nut, so getting a small set of diamond files won't hurt. At need you can also file saddlepieces with them.
I just blew my nose, and it was a gorgeous shade of old growth medium complexioned Honduran.
Unread 11-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

See link:-
Products*&*Ordering - Graph Tech

These are not bone, they are graphite. I like em.

Bear in mind that if you fit a nut there will be some adjustment with a file to get it just right.
Unread 11-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm sure I'll find the answer in another thread, but what kind of nut do I need? A Gibson bone nut? I have no experience with this, these bone nuts come in many forms, like different depth and distance between strings?

I need a bone nut that is really a replica of my plastic one...
WillieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

How experienced are you at modding guitars or DIY in general. It's not just the fixing of the nut, but getting the right spacings, filing them and then setting up the guitar. Personally I would entrust it to a luthier rather that do it myself, you could have a very expensive lump of wood it you don't do it properly.
Unread 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevics View Post
I have just had my nut replaced.
:l augh2:

just kidding.. no pun to the word intended..
Unread 12-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinityFive View Post
How experienced are you at modding guitars or DIY in general. It's not just the fixing of the nut, but getting the right spacings, filing them and then setting up the guitar. Personally I would entrust it to a luthier rather that do it myself, you could have a very expensive lump of wood it you don't do it properly.
Getting a pre-notched nut is a good idea if you've never done this before. They usually have good string spacing, so the next time if you do a nut yourself, you can copy the spacing from the old one.
Unread 12-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

I guess something like this would be okay to have a go at:

Tusq Nut for Epiphone Les Paul Standard
WillieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
+1

I've got Dan E's book and after looking and reading about it, no way! I will pay someone who knows what the hell they are doing to do any nut work on my LP. I am not skilled, experienced or whatever to try to have a go at this myself.
LiveOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ive heard that the TUSQ nuts are REALLY good, but the bone nuts are also a good option. What I don't get it is why doesnt Epi/Gibson have an option of bone/graphite/plastic nuts when they MAKE the guitar(like customization), which would only cost people like 15 bucks because there wouldn't be any installation fees(putting bone or graphite is the same installtion process as plastic, wich they already do), and so it would make everyone happy! And I also think they should have a lot more options, like pickups, and tuners, etc. which would eliminate the costly installation fees at luthier shops....and it would make the Epi/gibson people happier cuz they would probably get those parts at direct prices, and then would put the parts when you get the guitar as retail or something, so essentially, everyone would benefit by saving/getting money, except for luthiers, but that makes up a small part of the musician world, so it would be better. Hows that for a run-on sentence and rant.

GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top(Cherry Sunburst)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah Pedal
Fender Super Champ XD(15 watts)
Digitech RP200A MultiEffects Pedal(For Sale)

Check out my playing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCmzk8BgSw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4n8tHNakEw
Extremerocker827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

The reason being they can make larger quantities of the same, making each individual piece cheaper. They wouldn't also be able to produce guitars in stock as well, if they had to wait for orders. This not only slows production down deadly much, it also raises prices a lot more than one nut is worth. But I do agree it should be custom available by the manufacturer, as should all other hardware and electronic upgrades, since there'll always be people who'll want their guitar pimped-up straight from the box, even if they had to wait months for it to arrive from the factory. Most Epi customers are still happy with the original plastic nut for a while so they won't mind getting their guitar with one, as well as how simple it is to change it afterward.
Unread 12-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akahito View Post
The reason being they can make larger quantities of the same, making each individual piece cheaper. They wouldn't also be able to produce guitars in stock as well, if they had to wait for orders. This not only slows production down deadly much, it also raises prices a lot more than one nut is worth. But I do agree it should be custom available by the manufacturer, since there'll always be people who'll want their guitar pimped-up straight from the box, even if they had to wait months for it to arrive from the factory.
This is why carvin(carvin.com) is cool; you can customize your guitar COMPLETELY, its really cool. Pretty good value too, on the guitar. I think that might be my next axe, but IDK.

GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top(Cherry Sunburst)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah Pedal
Fender Super Champ XD(15 watts)
Digitech RP200A MultiEffects Pedal(For Sale)

Check out my playing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCmzk8BgSw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4n8tHNakEw
Extremerocker827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
When I first had sex I had no experience as well but still managed to perform..I dont think changing the nut is any harder.
These are my guitar DIYs :
Changed the strings (seymour duncan's way)
Changed the pickups rings
Replaced the bridge and intonated the guitar
Set up the truss rod and neck curvature
Set up the string hight to my desired lenght

The only thing I havent done is changing the pickups and nut. I would've if I had the right tools and time
Unread 12-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

I just changed mine last night to a Tusq nut, pre-slotted for Epi. It almost fitted perfectly without much sanding. And the plastic nut came off pretty cleanly. I used a wood ruler and put it against the nut and hit it with a hammer on the other end , and the nut came off. I used some Elmer glue to glue the Tusq nut on and left it dry over night. I have yet to put a new set of strings on. I also swapped out the "E" logoed tuners with a set of Gotoh vintage ones. They also just dropped right in without drilling any new holes.
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Blackstar HT-20 Combo
Avid Digi Design Eleven Rack

My youtube Channel
Raku10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #20 (permalink)

OMG..Something good happened. I just phoned a guitar luthier and he said that he would change the nut to a bone nut and will only charge 20. Thats for the nut and the labour. I guess I wont find any better deal than this, plus if I were to do it myself I would also had to buy the wood glue and sand papers + the bone nut which would've costed more than 20..I'm going there tommorow to change it. Thanks guys for the help and advice
Unread 12-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash300 View Post
OMG..Something good happened. I just phoned a guitar luthier and he said that he would change the nut to a bone nut and will only charge 20. Thats for the nut and the labour. I guess I wont find any better deal than this, plus if I were to do it myself I would also had to buy the wood glue and sand papers + the bone nut which would've costed more than 20..I'm going there tommorow to change it. Thanks guys for the help and advice
That's a good deal fella. Cost me 46 last weekend and I am very pleased with that. Mind he did a very fine job on the neck and frets as well.

You are making the right decision because even after fitting my slotted tusq nut there was a certain amount of fine tuning with a file to get it perfect.
Unread 04-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #22 (permalink)

I just replaced the stock nut on my Les Paul Studio with a Graph Tech Tusq nut (the white one). It was almost perfect size - it didn't need any filing to the underneath. It just needed a bit of filing on the ends as it was slightly too wide (only a mm or so). The stock nut was easy to remove - get the sharpest possible craft knife, and very carefully score along the back edge of the nut, and the sides to cut the laquer that may touch it. Then get a block of wood and a hammer. Hold the block of wood right up against the nut, on the fretboard and give a firm tap with the hammer. The nut should ping cleanly away. Alternatively you can try to slide the nut out sideways, by placing a screwdriver tip on the end of the nut and hitting it with a hammer. The first technique is probably your best bet though.
Tonequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #23 (permalink)

This is an old thread but a good one. I'm going to be changing the nut on my LP this coming week and I'm researching now. I'm surprised how many are afraid to tackle what looks to be a simple job. I've done everything to a guitar but change a nut. In fact I've bought bodies and necks from Warmoth and painted them and wired them up completely. I'm a pretty good DIYer. You only learn by doing. A nut is a pretty good way to learn how to save yourself some money down the road. Can't wait to try it. I'm going to use a TUSQ Gibson Jumbo nut. I have one stock on my Ibanez Euphoria EP9 acoustic and it is awesome.
indeedido is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #24 (permalink)

Pre-slotted nuts from GraphTech are good quality to be sure. You need to accurately measure the width of the fingerboard at the nut and the existing Low E to High E span as well and know the radius of your fingerboard.
Be aware that the nuts come radiused, slotted and you then need to reduce the height (stock height is ridiculously high on purpose) by sanding down the flat botttom. This has to be done while still maintainig the 90 Degree angle on the base to fingerboard side corner to fit nicely.
The other option is to spend the $200+ on all the specialized files and string spacing rule and start from scratch. I wasted 2 Micarta nut blankls before I produced a professional qulaity nut for my Elitist Plus (sold now). Making nuts takes patience and practice so I say go for the Graphtech one and simplify the process if you don't wan tto pay 1/2 - 1 Hr of a good tech's time.

GEAR
2012 CS R8 Iced Tea from Eddie's Guitars
2010 CS R7 Gold Top from Eddies's Guitars
Taylor 110 Series Acoustic from Guitar Works
PRS SE 245
Blackstar ID:60TVP
POD HD500
VOX Valvetronix VT30
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 12:37 AM   #25 (permalink)

If I replace the nut on my Epi LP Stnd., would it keep the thing in tune? Or will the Grover tuners need to be replaced?
bmwfreq is offline   Reply With Quote