MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Epiphone Les Pauls
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Epi Les Paul Jr. - Worth the money?

Amazon.com: Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Junior Electric Guitar, TV Yellow: Musical Instruments Amazon.com: Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Junior Electric Guitar, TV Yellow: Musical Instruments

What's the general opinion on this guitar? All the on-site reviews are good but I'm still not convinced I need one of these. It does look like a fun guitar and for the price, I wouldn't worry about it when I passed out drunk and left it laying out in the yard overnight....

On the other hand, I don't want something that never gets played and just ends up taking up space in my "guitar closet".
Wagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to straybeat
Re: Epi Les Paul Jr. - Worth the money?

These are cool little basic guitars that give a hint of the Les Paul sound for cheap. I bought my daughter the SG version because she's a little 5 foot shit and needed something smaller for her size. I play the damn thing all the time.
Unread 07-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired

Send a message via Yahoo to davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagster View Post
Amazon.com: Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Junior Electric Guitar, TV Yellow: Musical Instruments

What's the general opinion on this guitar? All the on-site reviews are good but I'm still not convinced I need one of these. It does look like a fun guitar and for the price, I wouldn't worry about it when I passed out drunk and left it laying out in the yard overnight....

On the other hand, I don't want something that never gets played and just ends up taking up space in my "guitar closet".

With comments like that, I'm not sure you should be allowed to own a guitar at all mate!

Seriously though, never played one and I'm not sure I could - I'm a fully signed-up member of the trapezoid club. (I'm sure it's a damn fine guitar for the money though.)
straybeat and battra like this.
Unread 07-25-2012, 03:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Guitar Center has used ones for $49 to $99 if you just wanna spend a couple of bucks to try one out without killing the wallet?

at Guitar Center.| Search Results

If you call the store where it's at the guys will tell you if it's beat to death and not to waste your money.

Unread 07-25-2012, 04:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,570 Times in 319 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Malikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davies View Post
With comments like that, I'm not sure you should be allowed to own a guitar at all mate!

Seriously though, never played one and I'm not sure I could - I'm a fully signed-up member of the trapezoid club. (I'm sure it's a damn fine guitar for the money though.)
Preach it brother man.
"Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
"How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē
Malikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

As with all cheapo guitars, there are good ones and bad ones. I had good luck with my first Junior (2010 Indonesian-made, 60s-style neck, solid body that wasn't plywood, straight neck, good frets) but played a few before I bought it. I found that the Chinese-made Juniors were pretty crappy, but the Indos were decent. Slapped some new tuners, a new nut, a Mean-90 pickup, and new tone cap on it, and it became my main guitar. I've also got a 2002 black Junior as my stage backup, with a 50s-style neck and a Dream-90 pickup in it, that, although it's plywood, is also a decent, fun guitar, especially for slide playing.

Play a few, and grab one that feels and plays right. Do some mods to it (especially the tuners; they suck horribly) and you'll have a decent, go-to guitar that's fun to play. Best of all, you're out less than a couple hundred bucks after all of the mods.

These are my Juniors. The first pic is from before I changed the tuners and knobs. It has amber knobs and GFS tuners now...

Leendrix likes this.
swamprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

You get them on Ebay all day long for cheaper than that.

epiphone les paul junior | eBay

I'm also a member of the trapezoid club...and four knobs...and two pups...and a switch!

I'd imagine though it'd a great little beater guitar.
battra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by battra View Post
You get them on Ebay all day long for cheaper than that.

epiphone les paul junior | eBay

I'm also a member of the trapezoid club...and four knobs...and two pups...and a switch!

I'd imagine though it'd a great little beater guitar.
Yea, I've seen some cheaper ones to be sure, but it was the TV Yellow that caught my eye.

I have plenty of guitars that have the full compliment of switches, knobs, pickups AND traps. ANYBODY (Slash) can sound good playing those guitars.... I was looking for a challenge!

I went ahead and ordered one. If I get a good one I'll keep it. If it's a dog I'll send it back to the pound. One thing for sure, I'll be the first one on my block to have one!

Already I'm wondering what a Bill Lawrence L90 would sound like installed in it?
Unread 07-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have one and love it it's just a fun guitar very basic. With a few basic mods it becomes very cool for not much money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LPJR7.jpg (95.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg LPJR6.jpg (95.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg LPJR3.jpg (98.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg LPJR HS.jpg (90.7 KB, 29 views)
Leendrix likes this.
Unread 07-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Heres the thing. I just don't like single pup guitars, and especially when that pup is in the bridge position. Also, I'm not into bolt on necks on LPs. Doesn't Epi have a low cost "studio model" or something with two pups and a set neck? That might well be the ticket for the OP
Custom Strat
Electra Strat type
Hondo Longhorn
Durango Guitar Works "Contender"
Sterling SUB AX3
PRS SE "Orianthi"
Yamaha accoustic
Washburn accoustic

Soul Tramp Wraith
Genz Benz El Diablo 60 TS.
Bugera V22
Dolebludger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolebludger View Post
Heres the thing. I just don't like single pup guitars, and especially when that pup is in the bridge position. Also, I'm not into bolt on necks on LPs.
Rats. I was buying this guitar to give to you as a xmas present, Dole. Guess I'll swap it for a tie instead...

Quote:
Doesn't Epi have a low cost "studio model" or something with two pups and a set neck? That might well be the ticket for the OP
Here's the thing. I really appreciate your concern here, but it was this specific model I was interested in. I'm not looking for a Les Paul Sr. Just thought this might be a fun guitar to have around. I'll break out my Gibson when things turn serious!

BTW, nice hat. (In case you were looking for something to get me for xmas)
Dolebludger likes this.
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofthesouth View Post
I have one and love it it's just a fun guitar very basic. With a few basic mods it becomes very cool for not much money.
I saw yours, before and after, on Gibson's Epi forum, and it was one of the mods that inspired me to do mine. Nice guitar!
swamprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

OK, if you want a guitar with a single pup in the bridge position (and I actually have one) you may need a capacitor upgrade to get rid of the "ice pick" treble. Maybe not. Just be aware of this possibility.

And Wagster: Thanks for thinking about me at Christmas, but I already have all the guitars I need. And my hat? It is a genuine hat from OZ. I thought it looked like Neil Young's hat. I wear it for gigs. It conveys Neil's message: "I may miss some notes and I may sing off key, but I don't care and neither should you".
Fuelish, Tweaker and 56GT like this.
Custom Strat
Electra Strat type
Hondo Longhorn
Sterling SUB AX3
PRS SE "Orianthi"
Yamaha accoustic
Washburn accoustic

Soul Tramp Wraith
Bugera V22
Unread 07-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

I found the perfect one for you Wagster;

As for bolt-on necks, the $90 one is bolt-on, but they make a lot more expensive model with a set neck, the '57 Reissue. Around $499 +/-.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-57-...t_10224wt_1159

http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.ph...es_Paul_Junior
Unread 07-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybeat View Post
I found the perfect one for you Wagster;

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1.../furrybody.jpg

As for bolt-on necks, the $90 one is bolt-on, but they make a lot more expensive model with a set neck, the '57 Reissue. Around $499 +/-.
LMAO - That's awesome. I've always wanted a guitar that requires shampoo and conditioner. I wonder if it comes in yellow? I would just worry that one of my dogs may try to hump it!

Really though, if I was looking for a top quality Jr. I'd be shopping the Gibson market. That's not what I want. The only reason I considered this guitar was BECAUSE it was so cheap. But, I just don't want to buy a piece of junk. And judging by the pics I've seen in this thread there are some nice Epi Jr's out there in spite of the low price. I must admit though, that 57 reissue is a purdy guitar. You should not have posted that link!

Quote:
OK, if you want a guitar with a single pup in the bridge position (and I actually have one) you may need a capacitor upgrade to get rid of the "ice pick" treble. Maybe not. Just be aware of this possibility.
Good call. I do have a few spares laying around. What value would be a good starting point? .22?

If this ends up being a player, I am serious about trying a Bill Lawrence L90 in it. I just love his pickups...

Quote:
Thanks for thinking about me at Christmas, but I already have all the guitars I need. And my hat? It is a genuine hat from OZ. I thought it looked like Neil Young's hat. I wear it for gigs. It conveys Neil's message: "I may miss some notes and I may sing off key, but I don't care and neither should you".
I definitely need one of those hats! You, me and Neil seem to have alot in common!
schaapie likes this.
Unread 07-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Bill Lawrence pickups, fo' shizzle my nizzle!
56GT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
LMAO - That's awesome. I've always wanted a guitar that requires shampoo and conditioner. I wonder if it comes in yellow? I would just worry that one of my dogs may try to hump it!

Really though, if I was looking for a top quality Jr. I'd be shopping the Gibson market. That's not what I want. The only reason I considered this guitar was BECAUSE it was so cheap. But, I just don't want to buy a piece of junk. And judging by the pics I've seen in this thread there are some nice Epi Jr's out there in spite of the low price. I must admit though, that 57 reissue is a purdy guitar. You should not have posted that link!

If this ends up being a player, I am serious about trying a Bill Lawrence L90 in it. I just love his pickups...
I thought you'd like the fuzzy one? You could play ZZ Top on it! The problem is getting your hand stuck in the fur trying to change the tone.

I just through the set neck out there because someone above mentioned it.

My daughter's SG could be a player with pots and pup change. Don't see any reason why not? The action is good, has a nice tone as is with the cheap crap in it. I couldn't imagine how cool it would be fixed up?
Unread 07-27-2012, 04:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybeat View Post
they make a lot more expensive model with a set neck, the '57 Reissue. Around $499 +/-.

Epiphone "57" Reissue Les Paul Jr W/Upgrades,Gibson Gigbag | eBay
499 for one pup, old style bridge, no top carve and dot inlays ...... an epiphone?

GTFO!

hahahaha, no thanks.
"Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
Unread 07-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malikon View Post
499 for one pup, old style bridge, no top carve and dot inlays ...... an epiphone?

GTFO!

hahahaha, no thanks.
I was stunned and amazed myself, but there is a slew of them running $480 to $525. I couldn't believe it after just passing on nice Standards for $400. My guess is one bozo started it, then everyone else followed suit?
Unread 07-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

I like Epiphones well enough,..but that's just crazy.
Unread 07-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprock View Post
I saw yours, before and after, on Gibson's Epi forum, and it was one of the mods that inspired me to do mine. Nice guitar!
Thanks it's a fun guitar to have and it wont break you back or bank.
Unread 07-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #22 (permalink)

Im with Dole on the pot and cap change. Its so basic and easy to do i made up two wire harness for mine for a easy swap. One setup had a .047 Rs Jenson cap in it and the one in there now is a .022 Mojo. The P/U is a GF Fat Paf bridge. Its so easy and quick to swap out parts i guess thats some of the fun for me??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (89.0 KB, 15 views)
Unread 07-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Yea, I've seen some cheaper ones to be sure, but it was the TV Yellow that caught my eye.

I have plenty of guitars that have the full compliment of switches, knobs, pickups AND traps. ANYBODY (Slash) can sound good playing those guitars.... I was looking for a challenge!

I went ahead and ordered one. If I get a good one I'll keep it. If it's a dog I'll send it back to the pound. One thing for sure, I'll be the first one on my block to have one!

Already I'm wondering what a Bill Lawrence L90 would sound like installed in it?
There's a part of me that would like to have one as a beater guitar...or as a different tuned guitar or something.

Change out the pickup to a Dimarzio or something.

I dunno...just thinking out loud mainly.
battra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #24 (permalink)

I've got 2 and i like them!
justbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

If I was you I'd go for the cherry.
From what I know, they're all solid Mahogany looking wood.
  • Marshall MS-4 (modded for cab out)
  • Sterling by Music Man SUB AX3
  • Epiphone Les Paul Junior Ltd. Ed. (EMG 81X)
  • Epiphone Wilshire Pro (EMG 81)
  • Fender Newporter Traveler
  • Squier VM Jaguar Bass Special HB
"I think I used to be someone, now I just stare into the sun."
LSAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #26 (permalink)

justbob:

What are the prices on those juniors?
Custom Strat
Electra Strat type
Hondo Longhorn
Sterling SUB AX3
PRS SE "Orianthi"
Yamaha accoustic
Washburn accoustic

Soul Tramp Wraith
Bugera V22
Unread 07-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSAR View Post
If I was you I'd go for the cherry.
From what I know, they're all solid Mahogany looking wood.

This if from the description of the guitar I linked to:

The famous no-nonsense, one pickup Les Paul Junior electric guitar in a limited edition, Amazon.com exclusive, classic TV Yellow finish. The Les Paul Junior has long been a favorite for everything from down and dirty rock and roll, to meanstreet blues, to raw garage punk. With a light all-mahogany body and a single screaming pickup, this guitar is totally down to business, while surprisingly versatile.

I would NOT have bought this guitar if it had not been a solid wood body.
Unread 07-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
justbob:

What are the prices on those juniors?

I got mine $120.00 from SW, It's a mahogany body.
Unread 07-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #29 (permalink)

Not a bad price. But you all should ask yourselves how often you play your guitars on just the bridge pup. Some of you may do this all the time. For you an LP junior might be nice to have around. But if you seldom play on just the bridge pup probably won't get much use out of the Jr.
Custom Strat
Electra Strat type
Hondo Longhorn
Sterling SUB AX3
PRS SE "Orianthi"
Yamaha accoustic
Washburn accoustic

Soul Tramp Wraith
Bugera V22
Unread 07-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #30 (permalink)
Agent provocateur

One came with my Rocksmith game. I've seen them for $79 bucks on sale. I take mine and a Korg Pandora on trips so I have something to play in the hotel room.