MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > Epiphone Les Pauls
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

what is the difference in cap value

how does a standerd .022 cap differ in tone from a .010 or a .044? i really need to know because im buying a rewire kit in a couple of days.
voxac30dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Re: what is the difference in cap value

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxac30dude View Post
how does a standerd .022 cap differ in tone from a .010 or a .044? i really need to know because im buying a rewire kit in a couple of days.
Sort of inbetween the two (the .022),that is to say a .010 will help brighten the tone capabilitys, a .047 and up will darken them. In plain simple laymans terms that is. Also pot values will achive a similar affect only the values go the oppisite way, a 250-300 will darken (basser , muddier) a 1 meg pot will brighten.
Some use .013 with 500K for the neck, with 500 or 300K for the bridge and a .047 or .05 .
overdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

so if i get a .015 for the neck and a .022 for the bridge will the neck be really bright compared to the bridge?
Unread 05-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
so if i get a .015 for the neck and a .022 for the bridge will the neck be really bright compared to the bridge?
No, because the neck pickup senses the string vibrations in a different position which naturally is darker anyway. .015 neck and .022 bridge is a popular choice and should balance out nicely. Assuming the guitar isn't naturally overly bright.

But .022 for both is definitley more standard/common.
PoorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
No some people do not here any difference , some do , if you have a neck pickup that sounds bass heavy now putting in a .013 or .015 .010 will allow it to sound a little clearer or brighter than it does now. a .022 is in your guitar bridge pup now a new .022 will , not change the tone of it unless of course you are getting better quality caps, but not brighter. Putting a .015 will not make your neck pick sound a great deal brighter , neck pup ,will because of where it is on the guitar always produce a bassier sound than the bridge. A 1meg pot for the neck will brighten it up more IMO than the cap value swap ,no tone control gets them as bright as can be, which is what you do not want.
What are you trying to achive? Short answer is no it will not.

^ beat to the punch . LOL
Unread 05-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

im getting a kit that comes with orange drop caps and cts 500k pots. im keeping my stock epi pickups until i can buy some gibson 57's. i thought if i got a .015 cap for the neck it would help it not to be so muddy. im staying with a .022 cap for the bridge because i like the way the bridge sounds. i hope the orange drops will clean things up a bit.
Unread 05-20-2008, 07:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
im getting a kit that comes with orange drop caps and cts 500k pots. im keeping my stock epi pickups until i can buy some gibson 57's. i thought if i got a .015 cap for the neck it would help it not to be so muddy. im staying with a .022 cap for the bridge because i like the way the bridge sounds. i hope the orange drops will clean things up a bit.
might , from all accounts though the Gibsons should clear things up if the .015 does not and the .015 will work with the Gibson. IMO order an extra .022 just in case. What are they, a buck or two a cap, might as well get an extra 1 or 2 maybe a .047 also . In case you get the urge to change stuff in the future. Some have had good results clearing up Epi Pups with the cap change to .015 ,
Unread 05-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

When I modded my 56 reissue Epi LP, the volume and tone pots that the guit came with were all 500k value. I left them in and just removed the little brownish red caps that came in it (don't know what uf value they were) and replaced them with .047 uf 715 orange drop caps, if for just my piece of mind. I followed the schematic, which suggusted using .047 caps, to a "T" that was provided on line @ the Seymour Duncan website. I don't really mess too much with any of the on board guitar tone controls. So, with both tone controls set on 10, pluged into a Fender HRD, @ bedroom volume, with a Jacques Overtube pedal, the neck pup used alone is darker, very ballsy, but not muddy, or muffled, Similar to the Stones rhythm tone on Midnight Rambler, or Can You Hear Me Knocking. With the pup selection switch in the middle w both pups on, the guit has a little less volume, but the mids are scooped and shine through nicely. Not bright, and not trebly, great for blues. The Bridge pup alone is bright, but I rarely use the bridge pup by it self. This guit has P-90's, so I don't know how different value caps affect Humbucker tone. I have a late 70's Gibson LP deluxe, w/ mini humbucks, but have never changed the caps on that. Seems like Overdrive has done his homework on caps. Heed his advise!
Grand Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote