MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > The Les Paul > The Custom Shop
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sengee
  • 1 Post By peterp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

mother of pearl MOP veneer?

i have been looking for an easy alternative to making a custom logo for my bulldog LP headstock and i came across this and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? it is only .015mm thick and easy to cut with a hobby knife i can glue it on then bury it in laquer and then sand it flat or even rout out just a fine shallow channel to make it more authentic.

what do you think?

here are some sites that also carry this.

here

and here
scaremy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scaremy For This Useful Post:
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: mother of pearl MOP veneer?

Can't see why not. Looks like a pretty good alternative to me.
Unread 09-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

that's cool! I agree that should be fairly easy to work with and no reason you can't get some nice detail out of it and it's thin enough to cut easy and like you said, shouldn't be too hard to cover with clear and will save you the headache of routing an inlay channel.

I bookmarked the link you posted for future reference.
Texas07R8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

you could try..but I tried that with an abalone sheet....so brittle, if you cut into a joined area...they seperate and flake and chip off...sometimes when you glue it down..then try to position it a tiny bit..it seperates...very frustrating.
shtdaprdtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtdaprdtr View Post
you could try..but I tried that with an abalone sheet....so brittle, if you cut into a joined area...they seperate and flake and chip off...sometimes when you glue it down..then try to position it a tiny bit..it seperates...very frustrating.

well hopefully the MOP is different
scaremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtdaprdtr View Post
I have used shell veneers professionally for years in my inlay business and nothing on this planet has ever made inlaying safer and then has the shell veneers. Working the veneers does takes some natural ability to handle and use tools and do original artwork designs; but more over, it that practice, patience and persistence to learn. This is the inlay artist mantra, the three "P" and if you start inlaying without all three "P's"; right there on your bench with you, you are headed for disappointment. It always amazes me when people think they can buy a few art supplies and they instantly become artist. This guy sounds like someone who bought some shell veneer and started cutting on it like it was construction paper. There are all kinds of technique and methods for working the veneer; straight lines are cut differently then curves, which is different from cutting sharp angles. The fact this guy didn't realize that mother of pearl (MOP) is hard and brittle, seems pretty naive (if not downright ignorant) to me; after all, the stuff is only as hard as glass and 1/15 of a millimeter thick. Brittle, no shit! However, guy that know what they are doing seem to work with the veneer just fine. It is a poor workman who blames his tools or his media for his own failures. Some might ask, " why are you so passionate about this?" Because, old school inlay work (sanding block inlays flush) isn't dangerous, it death and causes a very similar form of cancer, as does asbestos. I am 59, and have greeted, graveside more then a dozen widows in just the last 5 years all from cancer caused by “Flush Sanding” MOP blocks. So I hope all you will excuse me while I tell this guy; he’s full of shit! As well, I want to tell everybody not to use the "Sand Flush" inlay method. When moron come along and degrade the veneers which are very safer, cheaper and 10 times easier to work with, many time people will move to the far more expensive and dangerous old school methods, and they don't have any ideas the danger they are in going old school or they never try inlaying at all. Either way, this yahoo isn't doing anybody, any favors by expounding his wealth of incorrect to totally wrong information. It no wonder that this guy had such a bad experience with the veneers and any wonder he ever had the patiences to persist practice playing the guitar long enough to learn to play or does he play.
Metamatic and purevilpleasure like this.
Sengee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sengee View Post
I have used shell veneers professionally for years in my inlay business and nothing on this planet has ever made inlaying safer and then has the shell veneers. Working the veneers does takes some natural ability to handle and use tools and do original artwork designs; but more over, it that practice, patience and persistence to learn. This is the inlay artist mantra, the three "P" and if you start inlaying without all three "P's"; right there on your bench with you, you are headed for disappointment. It always amazes me when people think they can buy a few art supplies and they instantly become artist. This guy sounds like someone who bought some shell veneer and started cutting on it like it was construction paper. There are all kinds of technique and methods for working the veneer; straight lines are cut differently then curves, which is different from cutting sharp angles. The fact this guy didn't realize that mother of pearl (MOP) is hard and brittle, seems pretty naive (if not downright ignorant) to me; after all, the stuff is only as hard as glass and 1/15 of a millimeter thick. Brittle, no shit! However, guy that know what they are doing seem to work with the veneer just fine. It is a poor workman who blames his tools or his media for his own failures. Some might ask, " why are you so passionate about this?" Because, old school inlay work (sanding block inlays flush) isn't dangerous, it death and causes a very similar form of cancer, as does asbestos. I am 59, and have greeted, graveside more then a dozen widows in just the last 5 years all from cancer caused by “Flush Sanding” MOP blocks. So I hope all you will excuse me while I tell this guy; he’s full of shit! As well, I want to tell everybody not to use the "Sand Flush" inlay method. When moron come along and degrade the veneers which are very safer, cheaper and 10 times easier to work with, many time people will move to the far more expensive and dangerous old school methods, and they don't have any ideas the danger they are in going old school or they never try inlaying at all. Either way, this yahoo isn't doing anybody, any favors by expounding his wealth of incorrect to totally wrong information. It no wonder that this guy had such a bad experience with the veneers and any wonder he ever had the patiences to persist practice playing the guitar long enough to learn to play or does he play.
Great info and thanks for posting, but it seems pretty harsh to the other poster who was just sharing their experience. A lot of us posting here are non-experts dabbling in trying to do some creative things on our own, so the experiences and failures of other non-experts can be as important to us as the feedback from experts. The combination of both posts allows us to understand that a) these inlays are generally a good product; b) non-experts should realize some work and skill is required for it to not end up being a chipped mess. The thread would be weaker without the non-expert input IMHO. I hope you will keep posting because it's great info, but it seems completely unnecessary to trash those with less experience that have taken the time to share their real-world experience.
ElectricMagick likes this.

2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus Desert Burst
2006 Gibson ES-137 Blue Burst
2008 Epi LP Standard (MIC, Bigsby, highly modified)
1999 Epi LP Standard Plus (MIK, stock)
2009 Fender American Select Strat HSS
2012 Taylor 214 Sunburst
2011 Hofner Bass
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote