MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > Music Gear > The Cellar
MLP Meet 2014 LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Duane Allman Crash From The Truck Drivers Wife

Interesting post from the wife of the truck driver involved in Duanes crash.

Hittin' The Web with The Allman Brothers Band :: Where Music Plus Friends Equals Family
captainbraindamage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to captainbraindamage For This Useful Post:
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to 5F6-A
Re: Duane Allman Crash From The Truck Drivers Wife

interesting story
Unread 11-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I always heard he was decapitated....
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

"the wrong place at the wrong time"

http://soundcloud.com/benjammin420/c-blues
Benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi folks! New poster here, and I'm a basser, but I'm a huge Allman Brothers Band fan. I got a heads up about a thread on a Duane Allman owned 62 SG, and while I was on the site, I did a search and found this thread.

First off, the story about Chuck Wertz as told by his widow is absolutely 100% authentic. He was driving the truck that Duane swerved to avoid hitting. But there are a lot of misconceptions about his death I'd like to comment on.

First, it was a crane/boom truck Chuck was driving. It was not a peach truck, as legend has it. As best as I have heard from folks who were close to the situation, Duane was perhaps traveling a little over the posted speed limit. The truck was coming in the opposite direction and made a left turn, several hundered feet before Duane was on top of him. The truck had to slow down due to a large pothole in the street he was turning onto. Duane went around the truck to the left. He either went slightly airborn due to a hump in the road and lost control, or he may have made contact with a hydrant on the corner of the intersection of the two streets he was going through. Either way, he lost control, and he and the bike began tumbling. The bike went airborn and landed on top of him, causing multiple internal injuries. He had no apparent external wounds to his head or body. He was alive when taken to the hospital and died on the operating table after three hours of unsuccessful emergency surgery. The doctor who attempted to save his life has said he had at least three severe internal injuries, and any one of them could have proved fatal on it's own. Keep in mind Duane was of a slight build. He was around 5'9" and may have weighed 125 pounds soaking wet. Chuck Wertz was cleared of any wrongdoing in the wreck. It was a horrible set of circumstances that happened all at once, Chuck having to slow during the turn, and Duane exceding the speed limit.

The whole Eat A Peach thing was taken from an interview Duane did once. The interviewer asked Duane what he was doing for the "revolution." (Keep in mind this was during the Viet Nam war and there was the whole anti-war and counter culture movement going strong at the time.) Duane resonded, "Man! There's no revolution! Only evolution! Every time I'm in Georgia, I eat a peach for peace!" So, the album title, Eat A Peach, has nothing to do with the circumstances of Duane's death, but everything to do with Duane and how he lived his life.

Duane and Les Paul guitars will forever be linked. He could make those things sing! Rock on!
BigDaveOnBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

The thread that I linked to goes on for like 14 pages and I read the first 8. Many of the facts as stated by BigDave are also brought out in the thread, and other things he didn't. Like that he lost his helmet in the crash, because he didn't like the straps on it so he might have cut them off. Duanes bike had 6 over tubes on it with no rake, making it harder to control. ( I can vouch for the harder to control, I had 10 over on my bike.) One by someone that had talked to the owner of Macon Harley, that they had parted out Duanes bike after the crash. By page 8 it goes the way of most threads with not much to do with the original post. I'll have to take the time to sift through the remaining posts to see what info they hold just for my own curiosity.
Unread 11-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yea,those bikes area bitch to ride. Even the properly raked ones are scary to me.
Unread 11-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Gotta be careful on choppers for sure. I respect my bike a lot, and I hope to never be in a situation like Duane was, but all I can do is be as aware as possible.

RIP Duane
Unread 11-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbraindamage View Post
The thread that I linked to goes on for like 14 pages and I read the first 8. Many of the facts as stated by BigDave are also brought out in the thread, and other things he didn't. Like that he lost his helmet in the crash, because he didn't like the straps on it so he might have cut them off. Duanes bike had 6 over tubes on it with no rake, making it harder to control. ( I can vouch for the harder to control, I had 10 over on my bike.) One by someone that had talked to the owner of Macon Harley, that they had parted out Duanes bike after the crash. By page 8 it goes the way of most threads with not much to do with the original post. I'll have to take the time to sift through the remaining posts to see what info they hold just for my own curiosity.

Not being up on things Cycle related can you explain what this means...

(ps. welcome to MLP Bigdave...i know you from the ABB/hittin the note site)
chasenblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasenblues View Post
Not being up on things Cycle related can you explain what this means...

(ps. welcome to MLP Bigdave...i know you from the ABB/hittin the note site)
The 6 over tubes means the front end tubes, with the front wheel on one end and the motorcycle on the other, and 6 inches over stock length. Rake is where, on a bike with a extended front end, you take a cutting torch and make a cut between the neck and the frame. Bend it to the correct degree for the extended front end and then weld a piece of metal in the gap created. This will lower the bike to where it should be. If you put on a longer front end and don't rake it, it makes the bike higher in the front and raises your center of gravity.

Picture of a bike with 10 over tubes and no rake. The bottom of the frame should be parallel with the ground.

Last edited by captainbraindamage; 11-12-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have driven down that stretch of Hillcrest Ave about a zillion times... When I was in high school (back in the early 70's) we would haul ass in our cars down the hill on Hillcrest and when you hit the cross street (Bartlett) you would definitly get some lift like a riding a roller coaster. Hillcrest eventually runs into Napier Ave near where Berry Oakley had his accident about a year after Duane...

2005 Gibson Les Paul Studio Light Burst
2005 Gibson Les Paul 30th Anniversary Deluxe Goldtop w P90's
Raised in Macon, GA
Playing that "Southern Boogie Blues Rock" stuff for over 40yrs
LJGriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Chasen, good to see you here!

Larry, your name is familiar. I think we have mutual friends, either online or in Macon, or both.

JoMo, that's a nice lookin' chop you got. What model did it start life as?

I ride an '04 Road Glide. I had an '80 FXWG when I bought the RG, but when my oldest daughter got on the insurance policy, I came to realize I had too many vehicles. One of the bikes had to go, and I went with the one I could get on and go without worry.

Capt.B.D., what did you wind up doing with your chopper? Looks like an FXEF.

I've spent some time with Kim Payne, one of the original ABB road crew, and he told me Duane's Sportster had 6 over tubes done by Forking by Frank. Kim bought a Triumph chopper from Duane and was riding it one night late when he had a run in with the Macon PD, and an a$$hole cop shot him in the thigh for no good reason. Kim's dad was an AL law man and wasn't happy about his son getting shot. You'll notice Kim is sitting down on the back cover of the AFE album. That's because he was still recovering from the gun shot wound to his leg. The cop that shot Kim ended up crossing the line one too many times and wound up going to prison himself. Kim was riding with Berry Oakley when Oakley crashed a year after Duane.

That ABB was a wild bunch. Duane was wide open, as were the rest of them. When you're 24 and your band is finally making it big, you think you're invincible. I wish I had a time machine. I'd go back and sabotage Duane's bike.
Unread 11-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveOnBass View Post
Capt.B.D., what did you wind up doing with your chopper? Looks like an FXEF.
It got stolen back in 76. I knew who had it but not alot I could do about it, he had "friends". Taught me a valuable lesson, never mess with a married stripper. Was lucky I didn't get shot. It was a 1972 and I bought it in 73 for $1800. The owner was going in the joint the next day and I payed off the loan he had on it. AAHH the good ol days. Life is much simpler now.
Unread 11-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveOnBass View Post
Larry, your name is familiar. I think we have mutual friends, either online or in Macon, or both.
We may have some mutual friends... My family moved to Macon in Dec of 1969 when I was about 13. I migrated up to Hot'Lanta around 1977. I still have a few old "runnin' buddies" down in Macon. I don't get back there as much as I used to. I am planning on going back to Macon on Nov 22 for the Skydog63 event at Central City Park (to remember Duane's 63rd birthday). If you are going to be in town that weekend, check it out. Its a benefit for the Middle GA Food Bank so the admission fee is some canned goods... Skydog 63

2005 Gibson Les Paul Studio Light Burst
2005 Gibson Les Paul 30th Anniversary Deluxe Goldtop w P90's
Raised in Macon, GA
Playing that "Southern Boogie Blues Rock" stuff for over 40yrs
LJGriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Larry, I didn't make it to Macon today, but I did yesterday. I rode the Glide down for a COC meeting at AP's Hideaway. I had too much stuff to do with the family to get down there again today.
Unread 12-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Windsinger Send a message via Skype™ to Windsinger

Dave's gonna skin me, for poking my nose, in here,.....

My arrival came about, solely, from a long cold day, hiding, inside, and getting bored enough, on the net, to, almost, exactly, 3 years, later, doing another, search for "Chuck Wertz"

I think I've heard my name mentioned,.....sorta.
Nothing, more to add, really.
Except that Hillcrest, looked a LOT 'higher' to me, when I was learning to drive, in 1971, When 40 MPH was, to me, 'Fast' and unseattling.

Hillcrest is zoned and posted, for 35 MPH

The Macon, Police, told me, (the night of the accident) that Duane was "Going in excess, of 55 MPH, when he came down that hill, and lost control of his bike." They more or less said, that he'd gone airborn, to some degree, as best, they could, figure. They added that he "DEFINATELY, did NOT, hit the rear of that truck, at any point,..." They said they had gone over it, with a fine-tooth comb. and found no evidence, of Any, impact"

As for the theory, of Duane having, having hit the fire hydrant, kitty-corner to the side of the road he'd come down,...the police, said, not a word, to us, about that.
Windsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Re: Dit of a uane Allman Crash From The Truck Drivers Wife

Dave,.....Duane COULDN't of clipped that fire hydrant, causing the accident.
It's on the opposite corner of the intersection, from the side he, came down.
I seem to recall seeing a photo, in "Skydog" that shows his bike having come to rest, in the neighborhood, of the hydrant, but that's a good clip, from that bit of a skii-ramp on Hillcrest, that Duane was comeing down (I went out there, last Spring, and took some pix, and went around, asking questions of some of the locals who still lived/worked in the area, involved.)

Re. the loss of Duane's Helmet.
Chuck, himself, told me, that when he'd managed to locate "The rider" of the bike he'd come to, first (and "Reached over, and turned the bike off, it was 'racing-like-crazy'") Chuck said that when he'd gotten to the rider, "he'd lost his helmet"

When I was down in Macon, I talked to a man at the Lumber yard, just past where Chuck had been turning in. The guy said a buddy of his, worked at a place, where Duane had purchased, a new bike helmet. He said his friend, had sold Duane the helmet, but on his way out the door, Duane commented that he didn't like the chin strap on it,..and proceeded to cut the straps, off.

The guy at the lumber yard, said he "didn't know, if that was the Same helmet Duane was wearing, the day of the accident,...but (he) sure would be curious, to find out"

I'm sure Someone knows. The helmet, came off. Someone, Must have, retrieved, it.

It's my understanding that, they don't just 'come off' unless they aren't fastened, to begin with (My older sister's husband, was killed, on his bike, when a woman ran a light, at an intersection. Cat's husband's helmet, was still, firmly, on, but the impact had been so great, that the Drs told Cathy, that the helmet, did the job, it was intended to do,....but (they don't make you bullet-proof)...He said the accident was simply, so bad, that, that it was actually a "Blessing he'd died,...otherwise, he would have spent the rest of his life, as a vegetable")

From what I understand, about Duane's injuries, the loss of his helmet, made little difference, in the outcome.
Unread 12-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJGriggs View Post
I am planning on going back to Macon on Nov 22 for the Skydog63 event at Central City Park (to remember Duane's 63rd birthday). If you are going to be in town that weekend, check it out. Its a benefit for the Middle GA Food Bank so the admission fee is some canned goods... Skydog 63
Darn. I WAS down in Macon, that weekend Over at Tobesofkee,....not far from the Hippi side of town/West side. We just went out to the rec. park on Sat. to hang out with friends for the day, then went back to our Motel room, next exit, down 475.

Saturday, was PERFECT, ALL day, to be, outside.

But Sunday morning, aroun 4 a.m.-ish, the heaven's opened up, and the rains came down,...hard, til about 11 a.m. (as we were checking out of our motel)
That's when I found out, the temps, had, also, dropped, by a good, 20 degrees, from, the day, before.
i.e. it was one cold. wet, day, to be trying to spend over at Central City Park.
I hope there was a good turn-out, but man, what a rough day, to have it, on !
(Our own, Tobesofkee, event, had a similar, 'canned goods' donated, to participate, in certain activities, on Sat.,......We're down there, twice a year,...April and Nov.)(It's camping, for the out-of-town folks,....but my guy and I, more or less, 'Camp' year round,....we opt for the motel room, these days, when in Macon,)(But I sure felt sorry, for our friends, when I awoke to the sound of the rain pelting down, Sunday,...)
Unread 12-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Windsinger, welcome to MLP. I enjoyed reading the thread at the Allman Brothers forum. I must confess I didn't know much about the actual crash and learned alot. One thing I learned was nobody is 100% certain what happened to Duane and the bike after they landed from the jump coming off the hill.
Which got me to thinking. I'm not sure how Duane had his bike set up, but it was stated it had an extended front end. On my bike, due to the extended front end, I didn't have a front brake on it. Everytime I had to hit the rear brake hard, it would lock up the rear wheel and the back end would slide around to the right and I would be sliding sideways. If Duanes bike did the same, after he came down and hit the brake, he would be sliding sideways with his right side facing frontwards. If there was any unevenness in the road it would have flipped him.
Anyway, just another what if, among many.
I enjoyed your reading your side of the story.
Unread 12-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Well, there was one, 'eye-witness'
The guy in the vehicle, who was, behind Chuck's truck.
But, as I understood, it, from the police, that night, the guy just verified, to them, that Chuck had sat there, patiently, waiting or the traffic coming down the hill, to clear, before he made his turn, into Bartlett. i.e contrary, to what I read in my friend's, brother's book, Chuck never 'Failed to yield, right-of-way' as was alluded to.

As I'd stated, over at HTWWTABB, I hadn't spoken to anyone, abut the whole thing, in over 35 years or so. Hense my lady friend (MG) of 10-ish years,(at the time, ) knew nothing about my part in it's history, at the time, she knew her brother was working on his book. And I didn't know, of the book, OR her connection to it, until Sept/Oct. of '06. She wasn't at, the party, where all this came out, but, I Did see her, at the Christmas party, and talked to her, about it.

She was, first, stunned, and then, all excited. Said she was SURE her brother, would want to talk to me,....
She asked my permission, to give him my phone number (?) but I suggested she simply give him my e-mail, it would be a lot easier to make contact, and keep a written record, so there were no mis-understandings.

Regardless,....at that point, I hadn't yet, seen/read his book, so I didn't know how accurate his facts were/weren't to the actual events that unfolded, that evening.

That would put me, at a disadvantage in any exchange.

Besides, I didn't know what good it would do to talk with him. The book was already published. The story he'd researched, and written, to the best of his ability, with the information, he'd been able, to gather, at the time, couldn't be changed by a 12th hour witness. It was done. right, or wrong, it was already into the public's hands, for judgement.

She offered to loan me, her copy, but I declined it, saying I was sure the public library could furnish me with one, and easier to return. (she and I used to, for many years, travel in the same circles, but her interests had changed, and she'd started off on a successful, writing career, of her own, and we rarely ran into, each other, anymore,...)

The library had a copy. I didn't read it all,...mostly/only, the parts where my husband's name and things attributed to him, were mentioned. In the meantime, I never heard from Scott. I was disturbed by his accounting. I understand he was reporting, with what ever information, he was able to gather, and That, some 35 years, old, when witnesses were difficult, to downright impossible, to locate. Perhaps, if he'd known of my close proximity (a local call, away) that chapter, of the book would have turned out differently. That was not, His, fault. As a writer, he had done the best he could, with the material he had, available.

It only disturbs me, that he failed, to consider, when he proposed his theories, that if his theories, were correct, that Chuck should have been held, by the police, and charged.
That he wasn't,....that he was merely interviewed, by the police, and then allowed to return home, to tell his family, with the promise that he would return, that evening, to the station, to hear the results of the investigation,......that he was allowed, to leave the scene, of the accident, at all,....

Anyway,.....the police, Did investigate, that evening, and with the witness's statement (which was Surely, a matter of Public Record) Chuck was never charged with any kind of blame, for the accident. (Which Also should have been 'public record') It's been almost 3 years since I read Scott's book (I Do, have copies, of that chapter, here, somewhere)
But the impression I was left with, was that he had stongly hinted, that Chuck, had been, to blame for it, by failing to yield right-of-way, and by not, 100%, clearing the intersection, before Duane reached it. The impression he created, was that the rear of the truck, was still, VERY much, out in the intersection. That's NOT true.

They (the police) Did say, that yes, a portion of the truck, was still, in the intersection,...BUT,..."no more, than a (CAR) could have easily manuvered around, without going into the on-coming, lane". (and they added, that the truck, would have already cleared the road, before a car, going the speed limit, posted, had reached the intersection, so the issue of the truck not having totally cleared it, by the time of Duane's arrival to it, was a moot point. If a car, Could have manuevered, safely, around all that still occupied the road,...Duane's bike, would have had Zero, problems, avoiding it. i.e. the truck was not a real factor, to causing the accident, as was strongly hinted at, in the book.

(Chuck had hit his brakes, the instant he'd heard, the crash)(so he had not pulled forward, any further) A guilty man, would have hit, the accelerator. Chuck's sudden stopping, was out of concern, for what-ever had happened, back in the intersection,..he HAD to 'stop' in order, to go back, and see if he could help, in any way.

My mate was no saint. He had his faults. I won't try and pretend, otherwise.
But he was one of those guys, you hear about, once in awhile, who simply CANNOT drive by, a stranded motorist on the highway, without stopping, to try, and offer, assistance,....be it, mechanical (he was pretty good with a wrench) or change a tire, or give a ride to a telephone. It was simply his nature. The greatfulness of the stranded motorist, was reward, enough, for him.

He'd run back to help, if he could. A guilty man, wouldn't have.

So, I found Scott's accounting, disturbing, in it's implied blame-laying.

Yes, none of US were Really 'there' to know, what 'did' happen.
But what I know, is closer to the facts, re. Chuck's part in it, than anyone else's, discussing it, could be. And I WAS 'there' to hear what the police had said, to Chuck and I, about it. And I WAS there, to hear what Chuck told me, when he walked in, that evening.

No,...I'm not mad.
It just saddens me, to KNOW, that far too often (and I'm JUST as guilty, as anyone else)
That things we read, we accept, at face value, as 'truth'/facts, when, often, a writer will fill in, with their own theories, and those wind up, appearing, to also, be, facts.

The facts around my house, are that Chuck's son, who I was pregnant with, at the time, in 1971 (who was later born, on Christmas Day, First child born, in Macon, that Day/Year) Chuck's son, grew up, as did Duane's daughter, without, a Dad. They both, had to go to school, and when asked "What does your Dad 'do' ?"
They had to reply "Nuttin',...my Dad's Dead"
It broke my heart, the first time my 6 year old son with the beautiful face, came home, from school, to tell me, about this. Adding "All the kids feel sorry for me,....I'm the Only kid, in the Whole school, who doesn't have, a Dad."

My son went on, to make a hero, out of his missing Dad.
He treasures, still, anything his dad ever touched/wore/owned.
I fed his hungry mind, with any and every story I could remember, about his dad's existance,...and he soaked up my stories, like a sponge. Periodically, though, I reminded him, his dad wasn't perfect. He says, he Knows, that,....but his dad is still his only hero. My/our, son, recently married. I was stunned, to learn, his bride's BD, is the same as his Dad's,....

Last edited by Windsinger; 12-02-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Well, I've never read the book and like I said I never really knew any of the facts surrounding the crash. All I really knew was that he had been killed in a motorcycle crash. Even though I've been a fan since I first heard an Allman Brothers record in 1972. I had to go to college and get out of my small town to hear them back then. Now everyone knows of the Allmans.
So, I've found this information to be very interesting. Again, I would like to thank you for sharing your side of the story and the information that you know.
Someday I would like to go to Macon and see things myself. Heck, I've been to Graceland and I'm not even a big Elvis fan.
Unread 12-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I've never read the book and like I said I never really knew any of the facts surrounding the crash. All I really knew was that he had been killed in a motorcycle crash. Even though I've been a fan since I first heard an Allman Brothers record in 1972. I had to go to college and get out of my small town to hear them back then. Now everyone knows of the Allmans.
So, I've found this information to be very interesting. Again, I would like to thank you for sharing your side of the story and the information that you know.
Someday I would like to go to Macon and see things myself. Heck, I've been to Graceland and I'm not even a big Elvis fan.
Where-a-bouts are you at ?

THE Very Hardest part, about getting to the places in Macon, that you wanna see,.....is getting through/around, the monstrosity, known as 'Atlanta'

Macon itself, has changed VERY little in the last 35/40 years.
It's greatest change/growth, has been at it's furthest outskirts,...that, mostly West, and South.

The place where Duane was killed, is relatively easy to find, with the help of a 'City' map, which you can get for about $5 at most convenience stores.
I bought mine, just off of I-475, (Exit 5 ) the by-pass on the west side of the city.
Turned out, I was only, a couple of miles, from the accident site (at our motel, at Exit 3). With the help of the map, we had NO trouble, finding it.

Nothing much has changed there.
The Lumber yard is still there, on the corner.
But the company Chuck worked for, moved to a new location, in the years between Duane's accident, and Chuck's. We went, where it USED to be, but there wasn't enough remaining, of the site, to positively, identify, when the Construction shop and buildings, Had been,...new buildings had replaced them, and I don't think we were able to find the old RR track that had run along that way,...just a side track, no-longer in use, when Chuck was alive.

The Fire Hydrant, is still on the corner.
The area is still residential, and the speed limit, is still the same.
The neighborhood was never fancy, and That's still true.
But we were there on a bright Sunday afternoon, and I didn't feel Too uncomfortable, walking around, taking pix/asking questions.
A man, visiting the area, would feel, even less so.

I never had known the address of the Big House, so when we had gone cruising in the right area, I hadn't been able, to positively, identify it.

With the info from the ABB board, and my map, I could most likely find it, next time.
That general area, is still in a form of 'time warp'

The only thing 'missing' is the 'long-haired-hippies' that were seen to stroll the areas sidewalks. (Like the sleight-built long-haired blond guy, that Chuck had blown the car horn at, thinking it was a girl,...only to be mortified, when the guy turned around, to reveal a mustache,.....Someone, has since pointed out to me, that it was more likely to be, Greg, than Duane. Since I don't recall if this happened, before, or after the Oct. '71 accident, it, more likely, Had been Greg, as there would have been more time for it, and i was told that Greg had blonder hair,...Duane's had been more reddish/strawberry-blond.

But if you can make it to the area, in the next few years, I'm sure you'll discover it, little changed, from what it had been, in 1971.

I made a similar discovery, in June, when we took a roadtrip up to the Cape Cod area of Mass, looking for my own childhood haunts.
It had been a full, 50 years, since I'd lived in the area,....but, most of it, was caught in a time warp. After ALL this time, I was actually, able, to find, the trailer park, I'd lived in, when I was 5/6,...my old gradeschool,...AND, my First Grade, Teacher !!!! (and I found the shop, my mother always stopped at, to buy, salt-water toffee,...it's still there, and selling the SAME kind of toffee,...I brought her back a pound,..
Unread 12-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

For the last 25 years I've been in the middle of Kansas, in a small town of about 1000 people. Haven't done much traveling in the last several years, wife was not well but doing better now and we always liked to go places. Hopefully we'll be able to travel some in the future.
But yea I've been to Atlanta before and ended up in the wrong part of town. Whoops
Unread 12-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #24 (permalink)

Wink Re: Duane Allman Crash From The Truck Drivers Wife

(almost, forgot,....Haven't been to Graceland,....but, when traveling near Tupelo,Miss. my guy, insisted, on stopping, to hunt for 'Elvis' 'home'
$5 to take a peak into a tiny 2-rrom frame house,...in one door, and out the back, to walk up a sidewalk,...to a big gift shop. The place was so Phony, I couldn't help laughing at it's taking itself, so serious. My guy got nervous, when some male fan, gave me a dirty look, and (my guy) drug me out of the place. Needless to say, we didn't spend any money, in the gift shop.

Elvis had been a good entertainer. I had apprecated his, obvious, talent.
But I hadn't ever, really been 'a fan' (I'm afraid, in those days, I was a 'fan' of classical Ballet,....,...yeah,....for real,...Rudolf Nuryeyev had me glued, to Ed Sullivan, to watch him perform,....and I like The Beatles, there, too) Then,,,,years later,...I found out Nureyev, was gay,........oh sigh,....
Unread 12-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
For the last 25 years I've been in the middle of Kansas, in a small town of about 1000 people. Haven't done much traveling in the last several years, wife was not well but doing better now and we always liked to go places. Hopefully we'll be able to travel some in the future.
But yea I've been to Atlanta before and ended up in the wrong part of town. Whoops
I've never been, to Kansas.
Except for a weekend run, across the Miss. to Ozark, Ark. (to a folk park, there) I've never been 'west' of the Miss. River.
In Sept., we were in Norway, for 10 days.
May of '08 we were in Switzerland/Austria/and Germany, for 2 weeks.
In '06 we were in Ireland, for 2 weeks.

My husband (who I jokingly refer to as my 'replacement husband' (to Chuck)
Lost his job, with a major utility last Dec. (The Sept. trip, had already been arranged, and paid for, so we went,...but we were on short rations)(eatting out of cans, from home, any meals not covered in the trip) But it was fun, just the same......a cool, adventure. (some pix, at my Myspace page, Windsingersmoon)

I've always heard that Kansas is flat.
Flat land makes me, nervous,....somehow, it always seems too exposed,...
You can laugh, but when Chuck and i went up to Illinois,...to visit his family,...being out there, on all those flat expanses of farmland, always had me, looking skyward, for some great giant 'foot' to be descending downward, toward me,......or some great bird-of-prey, looking for Lunch,...

As for Atlanta,....I can't stand the place. TOO big,...too fast.

We live out in the country, about an hour from Atlanta's borders.
When we make our twice yearly, pilgrimage to Macon, we take backroads, that make us, totally, avoid, Atlanta. It's better, that way,....and we drive through some great rural scenery,....besides, our trips to Macon, always fall, on a Friday, and God forbid, one should be caught in Friday 'Get-out-of-Atlanta-traffic', between 3 and 7 p.m !!! (they don't have, a symbol here, for stark horror)
Unread 12-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

I've thought about stopping at Tupelo, but always driven past on the highway. In too big of a hurry to get to other places. Now I know it's not worth it so it won't bother me the next time.
But yes, the part of Kansas I'm in is very flat and it definately took some getting used to. We moved here when I was 13, from western New York state. Before we moved out here I spent 3 summers at my great aunts place outside of Weaverville, N.C. which is near Asheville. So that is my final destination when I head that direction, although I make different side trips to see other places. She's long gone, but I enjoyed it so much when I was there it feels like going home, I get rejuvenated and a trip is long overdue.
Graduated from High school here and moved away to a few cities. Moved back as an act of self preservation, destructive life style. Since I've been back and gotten older, I think I've learned happiness comes from within, not from booze or drugs. You have to learn to live with yourself. I'll never move back to the city.

Last edited by captainbraindamage; 12-03-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Unread 12-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
I've thought about stopping at Tupelo, but always driven past on the highway. In too big of a hurry to get to other places. Now I know it's not worth it so it won't bother me the next time.
You HONESTLY, didn't 'miss' anything, in Tupelo.
I didn't even want to stop.
But my guy says "we GOTTA !!!! we Can't be so Close, and not 'stop !!!!"

So, I humored him, but thought it was $10 dollars thrown away.
The house was a tiny, two rooms, as I recall
Just a front room, and a kitchen room,....Military trailers I lived in, as a kid, were tiny, but had more square footage. The gift shop, up back was HUGE and so phony in it's seriousness, I honestly couldn't believe that Anyone could Really, take it, as such. I don't know, if you could get to it, without paying to pass through the house (Probably, could,...most museums I've been to allow you access to their gift shops, if you know the right door to go through),....BTW,....if you pass this general way, again,...be sure to make a side-trip to the Huge Tennessee Aquarium, in Chattanooga,....WELL worth the side trip. The new, Atlanta Aquarium, is reported to be, larger, but we've, yet, to go to it. i.e. it's in the middle of, Atlanta Explanation, enough.

But the Tennesse one, is relatively easy to get to.
Ask for a brochure at the Tenn. Welcome Center.
They told us, to "Park at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo" (indoor parking, a couple of blocks, from the Aquarium)
and go to the corner, and "catch the trolley" conveyance (free) and ride it, to the aquarium,....also to the MAX theater.

Combined tickets, for both, are a real bargain. (They're, more or less, next door to each other) When we went, the IMAX, was showing a 3-D movie, of the Great Barrier Reef,....that was THE Most, Awesome, experience !!!! Not the silly red and green lensed cardboard glasses,....these were headset things,....the illusion, was SO complete, that people, out-of-reflex-habit threw up hands, to 'avoid' things/fish coming toward their faces, and put out hands, before them/us to try and 'touch' things, because, it seemed, like we Could !!!!,...there was even the temptation, to swivel your head, to follow things/fish, that seemed to move past the sides of your head,..

COOL !!!!!!

The trolley thing, will take you around and eventually, back to where you left, your car. (it just makes a circut)
Unread 12-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

Never been to the aquarium or IMAX in Chattanooga. I'll have to next time. When I hit Cherokee N.C. on the way back the next stop is Chattanooga.
Unread 12-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Never been to the aquarium or IMAX in Chattanooga. I'll have to next time. When I hit Cherokee N.C. on the way back the next stop is Chattanooga.
Y'all should enjoy it.
We've been 2 or 3 times when we've gone up to re-inactment events, near Chattanooga. Always, on Sunday, coming home, from the events.

I don't know how heavy the traffic is, any other time, but it's not bad, on Sunday, in that area.
Actually, the area immedately where the Aquarium/Imax are is rather pleasant,....fairly quiet and a very comfortable feel to it, that doesn't 'feel' like areas in Atlanta. I've been through Chattanooga,...and it's so spread out, it has none of Atl's Monster/Futuristic feel. Finding the area is relatively easy,...but it's a bit, more difficult, finding your way, back to the Interstate.

We've gotten a GPS system, since we were last, there, so, next time, should be, easier
Unread 12-06-2009, 02:10 AM   #30 (permalink)

This is a great thread, thanks so much for sharing this stuff with us Windsinger......oh and hello, welcome aboard!!
circusboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote