MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > MLP Community > The Backstage
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By NRBQ
  • 1 Post By Barcham
  • 1 Post By Bobby Mahogany

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Love the 1950 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 that Gas Monkey Garage did

I was just watching an episode of Gas Monkey Garage and they did a great job with a 1950 Olds Rocket 88 where they kept the weathered look for the restoration. It was such a great idea to keep the original look of the car and keep all the years of life that it has given. Here are some pics for anyone not familiar. I couldn't find as any really great shots of it but still this should tell the tale.

As it came in:

During the rebuild phase:

The finished build:

duck2k, Matt_21 and Tchap like this.
NRBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Love the 1950 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 that Gas Monkey Garage did

Richard and Aaron are cool! Love the show and it's far better than the OCC show was....

My question about maintaining the "patina" is, what do they do about the rust, (surface and otherwise). You can't leavs rust, so you either blast it,sand it out, or cut it out and replace with good metal...So what do they do here (this came up in my mind when they were doing the Dodge pick up lately too). I guess they do the right thing and "paint" the car to imitate the "rust patina"???

"As the man says, all the southern children like to rock and roll!" Chris Robinson

"Oh good heavens baby where is my medicine? Well I must have left it outside with my ettiquette." Chris Robinson
DHBucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHBucker View Post
Richard and Aaron are cool! Love the show and it's far better than the OCC show was....

My question about maintaining the "patina" is, what do they do about the rust, (surface and otherwise). You can't leavs rust, so you either blast it,sand it out, or cut it out and replace with good metal...So what do they do here (this came up in my mind when they were doing the Dodge pick up lately too). I guess they do the right thing and "paint" the car to imitate the "rust patina"???

I don't think that's rust, I think that is the primer underneath, just a guess of course but that doesn't look like rust to my eye. Not sure if the episode itself explains that but clearly they took steps to stabalize the surface for they resurfaced it. BTW "patina" that is the word I was searching for in my OP but couldn't seem to get a hold of, it was sticking in my side till I was your post. Thanks for that.

Edit: On second thought looking at the pic of the car before they did anything it really does look like rust. Oh well, that's why I'm a photorgapher and not a car restoration guy.
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elitist Club Member

I think there are way too many of these shows on TV these days. I must have close to a dozen various car restoration or customization shows on my various channels and most of them bore me to death. For one thing, I'm really getting tired of the constant "We're over budget and running late. How will we ever get it done on time!!! Oh, noooo!!!!!"

And then there are the times they totally destroy a classic car because they think they can make it better. On one of these shows, can't remember which one, they did what I consider to be a total hack job on a beautiful Lotus Europa - going so far as to replace the beautiful wood dash with a modern looking panel that could have come out of any generic Japanese or US sports coupe.
Bobby Mahogany likes this.

'04 Epi Elitist '61 SG Faded Cherry

Roland Micro Cube

The Guitar Dater web site does NOT help you determine if a guitar is real or fake. It ONLY decodes the serial number according to a set formula. They have no database of guitars.
Barcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Even if it were primer instead of rust it still must be stabilized, since primer allows moisture to penetrate to the metal whereas finish paint or sealer wouldn't.

I love those old barges.

Two tons of Detroit pig iron. The Norlin pancake body Les Paul Custom of the car world, with dings.
sonar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

In one word: Relic!
sonar1 likes this.
Fender Super Reverb (45 watts) 1974? (converted to AB 763 circuitry)
Fender Princeton Reverb (12 watts) 196? or 197?
Main pedals: Boss SD-1, RAT, JD CryBaby 335
What I need: Electricity, Lozenges (if I have to sing), Dunlop 205-206 Jazz picks
(I don't play Jazz I only play Jazz picks)

Unread 07-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonar1 View Post
Even if it were primer instead of rust it still must be stabilized, since primer allows moisture to penetrate to the metal whereas finish paint or sealer wouldn't.

I love those old barges.

Two tons of Detroit pig iron. The Norlin pancake body Les Paul Custom of the car world, with dings.
Yeah clearly they stabalized the surface in some way shape or form, thinking back I don't think they covered how it was done, although I may be wrong, I wasn't really looking for that info when I watched it. Great painters can do almost anything, even making new paint look old and weather beaten. Still they really nailed in on that build, so much would have been lost if they had totally restored and repainted the gem they first got. It was smart thinking on Richards part.
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcham View Post
I think there are way too many of these shows on TV these days. I must have close to a dozen various car restoration or customization shows on my various channels and most of them bore me to death. For one thing, I'm really getting tired of the constant "We're over budget and running late. How will we ever get it done on time!!! Oh, noooo!!!!!"

And then there are the times they totally destroy a classic car because they think they can make it better. On one of these shows, can't remember which one, they did what I consider to be a total hack job on a beautiful Lotus Europa - going so far as to replace the beautiful wood dash with a modern looking panel that could have come out of any generic Japanese or US sports coupe.
You may be onto something with this one, it's like the chopper shows that invaded tv for a few years at a fever pitch. Now you don't see so much fascination with chopper and the people that build them. American Chopper started in 2003 so the trend had a good long shelf life. This is the next tv craze I guess. Still I like Gas Monkey and Counting Cars even more. I have been down on the History Channel but still I can't get enough of Counting Cars and Danny the head of the show.

I remember thinking when he was on Pawn Stars he should have a show of his own. His enthusiasm for cars and the love he shows for people have pulled me in. I like him as a person, he hugs people for real, full on hugs, not the cool "I'm a man hug" etc. I'm sure that sounds bizaare but I admire people that wear their heart on their sleeve and aren't scared to let the people around them know they are loved. Plus the big payoff for shows like Counting Cars, Gas Monkey and American Restoration is at the end when you get to see them transform what they had into what they dreamed. It's my reward, my dessert, my payoff at the end.
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elitist Club Member

I have to admit that I do love Counting Cars. Danny is just a big kid and I can really identify with that. Some of his episodes have been really touching also, with him doing a few builds for handicapped individuals that almost brought tears to my eyes.

Roland Micro Cube

The Guitar Dater web site does NOT help you determine if a guitar is real or fake. It ONLY decodes the serial number according to a set formula. They have no database of guitars.
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I have to admit that I do love Counting Cars. Danny is just a big kid and I can really identify with that. Some of his episodes have been really touching also, with him doing a few builds for handicapped individuals that almost brought tears to my eyes.
Yeah I think that is something that seperates him from many on this type of show. I recently saw where they did a chopper for a customer in honor of his late mother, and after the presentation Danny gave him a full on bear hug and it was just so genuine and heartfelt I became verklempt, oh now here I go again.....talk amounst yourselves.....heres a subject....James Lipton is neither a lip nor a ton, discuss.
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elitist Club Member

I loved the show where he did a great job for Elvira. I was amazed at how fantastic and sexy she still looks and it was hilarious how everyone was falling all over themselves when she walked in!

Roland Micro Cube

Unread 07-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Shawn Lutz

I didn't like not painting it...knock off the dust and dirt and clear coat it...boo
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I loved the show where he did a great job for Elvira. I was amazed at how fantastic and sexy she still looks and it was hilarious how everyone was falling all over themselves when she walked in!

Yeah that was a good episode, and if there was ever a match made in heaven it's Elvira the queen of darkness or whatver she calls herself and the Count. Danny always has those shades and thick bandana I wonder if we would even recognize him with out all that stuff. I love it when he buys and car and they rebuild it so well he can't let it go and has to tell his money manager that he's keeping it. They flip out on him and he's like..."oh well, the perks of ownership" good stuff. I'll bet he would be fun to hang out and party with.
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
I didn't like not painting it...knock off the dust and dirt and clear coat it...boo