MyLesPaul.com

MyLesPaul.com (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/)
-   The Backstage (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/)
-   -   If it walks like a duck and smells like fish (scammer rant) (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/249044-if-walks-like-duck-smells-like-fish-scammer-rant.html)

WolfeMacleod 04-04-2013 02:23 AM

If it walks like a duck and smells like fish (scammer rant)

Man, I hate guys like this.

Over the past few months, I've had this guy calling on a regular basis, sucking up massive amounts of time just jawing away about anything, with wild tales of who he is and the people he knows. Sometimes he'll call several times in a row, if I happen to be out. I've probably got 40 hours of phone time with him since January.

I'm not one to be rude very often, so I listen and let him jabber away. He'll go on for up to two hours, no kidding. But, I think that's about to stop, given what I confirmed today after more name-bombs.
I posted a while back, looking for people in the St. Louis, MO area who might know this guy, trying to get a feel for if he was legit or not...

I didn't think so. The stuff below is just a small part of the claims he's made.

I dislike when people make wild claims about who they are, who they've toured with, and name dropping in order to get gear. Chances are, if you drop too many names, we might actually know one of them, or be able to contact one (or more) to verify.

No, Koren Duke, you don't have a gig with Doc Severinsen on Saturday, and you don't know Doug Aldrich.:facepalm: Julliard has never heard of you, and if you toured with Eric Clapton, I'm sure there would be a record of it somewhere on Google. In fact, Google comes up with zilch about you. GIT won't confirm or deny that you were ever a teacher there, but I have a feeling you weren't.
Invited to play on the new Star Wars films, and with Willie Nelson....? I don't think so...his Manager has never heard of you either, but we're still waiting to hear back from other band members...As well as Mark Tremonti. I hope you had a good time at his house all week last week! In Orlando... while you were at the hospital... get your stories straight...:rolleyes:

My knowledge of Munchausen Syndrome suggests you don't have Pancreatic cancer either, nor are you running a fever of 107 every time you call me.:Ohno: If it were, you should be dead. You sound awfully healthy for someone so.....sick. :squint:

I can't stand scammers.

I find myself wondering about the multitude of pieces he's played for me over the phone... too bad I'm not well versed in Jazz and Fusion stuff to recognize any of what he's played. "here, listen to this I recorded last night" Cause if they were his own pieces, that guy should be a Jazz superstar, instead of a broke dude in a bad part of St. Louis looking for a pity-handout.

Oh yeah.. Doc's manager says hello.:wave:

:lol:

Anyone heard of this guy?

AngryHatter 04-04-2013 02:31 AM

Re: If it walks like a duck and smells like fish (scammer rant)

I swear I read "Koren Duke" as "Korean Dude..."

acstorfer 04-04-2013 03:36 AM

hey, if you wanted me to stop calling you, you could have just said so!:)

rockstar232007 04-04-2013 03:41 AM

Sounds like less of a "scammer", and more like a "pathological liar"?

I've met/dealt with a LOT of those types over the last few years. It's almost hard not to feel sorry for them, especially since some of them are so delusional, they actually believe their own BS.

ErictheRed 04-04-2013 04:12 AM

Maybe he's delusional and actually believes some of his own stories; I've known a few people like that over the years. Why do you say he's a scammer? What has he tried to scam you out of?

Slashperryburst 04-04-2013 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErictheRed (Post 4988583)
Why do you say he's a scammer? What has he tried to scam you out of?

I guess he's looking for some free pickups.

El_Greco 04-04-2013 06:07 AM

As long as he doesn't introduce himself as duke Koren... :D

Stealthtastic 04-04-2013 06:11 AM

Dont you know i am eric clapton

TOMMYTHUNDERS 04-04-2013 06:16 AM

is this not a good time to mention that i'm abraham lincoln and i need some new pickups pretty bad?

Tuesday'sGone 04-04-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMMYTHUNDERS (Post 4988709)
is this not a good time to mention that i'm abraham lincoln and i need some new pickups pretty bad?

http://bedmagazine.files.wordpress.c...-hunter_m.jpeg

Brians Evil Twin 04-04-2013 06:47 AM

You can find out a lot about anyone with a phone number on Spokeo...

TOMMYTHUNDERS 04-04-2013 06:53 AM

four score and 7 minutes ago i was playing one of my guitars and it kinda lacked the bite i'm looking for. that said, i'm not gonna give it the wilkes-booth treatment without trying some new pickups first. i'd like to emancipate some pickups from you... what do you say?

Tuesday'sGone 04-04-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMMYTHUNDERS (Post 4988763)
four score and 7 minutes ago i was playing one of my guitars and it kinda lacked the bite i'm looking for. that said, i'm not gonna give it the wilkes-booth treatment without trying some new pickups first. i'd like to emancipate some pickups from you... what do you say?

Almost perfect. :applause: Should have finished with....what say you?? :hmm:

Malikon 04-04-2013 07:26 AM

Hey Wolf man, sorry to bother you. I was just chatting on the phone with my buds Yngwie and Al Dimeola, (chatting about our super model girlfriends and Ferrari collections. You know how rock stars do...)

But I got to thinking about your pups and mentioned it to them and there were really interested.

Told 'em I'd call you and have you send us 3 sets to try out, for free of course, because we're rich rock stars-we don't pay for stuff. Once you're rich you get stuff for free,..it's pretty awesome.

Anyway good talking with you. Have to go, my selective breeder is here to help me run the horse farm. ... Oh yeah,...just bought a Stallion farm,...because I'm bored and awesome.

Oop, gotta go. Doc Severinsen is on the other line.

Later Wolf!

...call ya back in a few minutes.

kidmo 04-04-2013 08:08 AM

Check with Kelton Swade, if he doesn't know him, he ain't shit!

Thundergod 04-04-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMMYTHUNDERS (Post 4988709)

The vampire hunter??? :wow:

Thundergod 04-04-2013 08:12 AM

Why do people do stuff like that? It's pretty well known that you can get info of anyone now, so why lie that way?

Weird.

I knew a couple of guys like that, in high school! One would claim he was the real owner of KITT.

artistxe 04-04-2013 08:22 AM

Pathological vs compulsive liar definition, is that the pathological liar seeks gain of some sort and lies to manipulate.The compulsive liar just can't help themselves.
Call him out on some of his "contacts". Tell him that you are really impressed by his network and circle of friends, and that some intros would really help you out. I have done this with a few name droppers and sometimes things do pan out, but mainly the idea is to shut them up :)

Shawn Lutz 04-04-2013 08:45 AM

what was he scamming?

He's just another internet douche bag pretending to be someone they're not...

battra 04-04-2013 08:53 AM

What part of St. Louis did he say he was from?

I just wanna make sure my hometown isn't being improperly defiled!!

(Please note: IMPROPERLY. Please NOTE THIS TOO: That scene in "Vacation" was not St. Louis, but East St. Louis in Illinois. St. Louis Proper is different.)

BillB1960 04-04-2013 10:09 AM

Don't click this link if you don't have to some to waste but it is entertaining:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/back...an-thread.html

SteveGangi 04-04-2013 10:40 AM

Yeah. That's it, that's the ticket, yeah.

artistxe 04-04-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillB1960 (Post 4989361)
Don't click this link if you don't have to some to waste but it is entertaining:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/back...an-thread.html

That is some seriously messed up stuff. I hope that guy got/gets the help he needs

BillB1960 04-04-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artistxe (Post 4989641)
That is some seriously messed up stuff. I hope that guy got/gets the help he needs

Yeah that one hit like a bomb when it broke.

A great disturbance in the Force was felt.

Hack 04-04-2013 11:38 AM

I smelled ducks before, most of them smelled like fish.

Shelbyblues 04-04-2013 11:42 AM

I'm 25 miles west of ole St. Louie and never heard of him.....but I don't get out much....

upl8tr 04-04-2013 11:42 AM

" If it walks like a duck and smells like fish"

Then wouldn't that make it either a Dish or a F... :shock:

:hmm:

:D

WolfeMacleod 04-04-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battra (Post 4989099)
What part of St. Louis did he say he was from?

I just wanna make sure my hometown isn't being improperly defiled!!

(Please note: IMPROPERLY. Please NOTE THIS TOO: That scene in "Vacation" was not St. Louis, but East St. Louis in Illinois. St. Louis Proper is different.)

The bad part, according to someone I PM'ed a while ago.
You familiar with Lindell Blvd?

battra 04-04-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelbyblues (Post 4989702)
I'm 25 miles west of ole St. Louie and never heard of him.....but I don't get out much....

I'm presently sitting 25 miles west of St. Louis.

I want to go back those 25 miles now...but I still have about 3 and half hours....

battra 04-04-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod (Post 4989992)
The bad part, according to someone I PM'ed a while ago.
You familiar with Lindell Blvd?

That's not a bad area at all.

Lindell is a part of the Central West End...I go to the movies at the Moolah Shrine Theater and Bowling Alley on Lindell.

Not far from my house.