MyLesPaul.com
Homepage - Sponsors - Subscription - Auctions - Advertise - Spy  
Go Back   MyLesPaul.com > MLP Community > The Backstage
LIKE MyLesPaul on Facebook FOLLOW MyLesPaul on Twitter

Like Tree270Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #31 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff_farkas
Re: What do You Think Should be Done to Help the Mentally Ill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Fezziwig View Post
I had a guy on Thorazine. It took him a year for his eyes to adjust after he stopped. He was THAT out of it. Unfortanately I believe he needed it. He was VERY violent. WE had MANY REALLY dangerous fights. Rolling around in glass while the TV is sparking and broken. I don't know what the ANSWER is. HEAVY DRUGS ARE THE ANSWER? I guess you have to decide. The thorazine makes you feel like a Zombie> without it your a MENACE. What to do?
The Dr's tend to hand that stuff like candy and that's not right either. But it does good for quite a few people.

jeff_farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Les Paul

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_farkas View Post
1. I am a nice guy but I don't like comments like yours to just issue a drug like Thorazine.
2. I do work with NAMI to help remove the stigma and my comment was to show others where to go if they want to help. If you don't want to you don't have to.

Have a nice day.
It's all good.If we here had the answers,there would be a cure.At 8:51am PST being told to STFU just doesn't sit well with me.Try me again after I have another cup of coffee.
napsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by your idol View Post
Taking meds and mellowing out.

Unread 08-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #34 (permalink)

Thanked 2,063 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyAce View Post
Block them from reading The Backstage.

. . . he ducks . . . he runs . . .
Easy HUMOR heals. Alot of the Mentally ill need a good laugh. Paranoid delusions and Ego excess make you UNHAPPY!. I always JOKE with my guys I say"Your Nuts!"
They know it and I know it. Breaking stigmas. I encourage them to feel at peace with being insane? Call a duck> a duck. Good Lord This world is CRAZED> I am the VOICE of Reason?
Unread 08-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by napsak View Post
It's all good.If we here had the answers,there would be a cure.At 8:51am PST being told to STFU just doesn't sit well with me.Try me again after I have another cup of coffee.
I am really sorry bro for saying that. I take this issue very serious since I have it and take about 6 meds a day just to be able to function. I should remember to take my meds before I post so I am mellow enough to say the right thing and not hurt others feeling. For what I said I am truly sorry.

OH and really.. have a great day.

Unread 08-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #36 (permalink)

**Post removed** --Mod
Strato and chiefotto1 like this.

'13 Gibson LP R7 Goldtop Darkback
'11 Gibson LP Custom R7 Limited Kerry Green
'13 Larrivee OM-09

Bought and sold so many I can't even remember them all!!!

Blackstar Club 40
Fender Blues Jr Tweed
ZT Lunchbox
...and way too many guitar picks....

Last edited by b-squared; 08-31-2011 at 09:48 AM.
InkedLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
I am really sorry bro for saying that. I take this issue very serious since I have it and take about 6 meds a day just to be able to function. I should remember to take my meds before I post so I am mellow enough to say the right thing and not hurt others feeling. For what I said I am truly sorry.

Jeff At least you take your meds. finding a good mix is HARD. My Guys take depakote,risperdal,zoloft,ativan.klonopin,........ ......sick AMOUNTS. One doctor had them MED free. I was "FIGHTING' Every day. One Doctor BOMBED them with Meds= Zombies. I REALLY believe we should use LSD and POT! I believe I could "Heal" these guys demons with those two Drugs. Calling Dr. Fezzi
jeff_farkas and Skintaster like this.
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #38 (permalink)

Something I've noticed lately. A person admitting their an addict is called brave, and help is practically thrown at them.

But when someone with a real mental illness comes forward, people shun them to the dark corners of the world. What's the deal with that?
bertzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #39 (permalink)

Thanked 1,098 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertzie View Post
Something I've noticed lately. A person admitting their an addict is called brave, and help is practically thrown at them.
You noticed this where? That doesn't wash with my personal experience, at all. Unless you're talking about the cashiers' window at the Betty Ford Clinic.
Tim Fezziwig and Roberteaux like this.
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Apology excepted. By the way my dad knocked my balls off at conception.I'm a young lady.
Oh,I'm sorry too. Sipping my second cup
napsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Easy HUMOR heals. Alot of the Mentally ill need a good laugh.
Send them here: archive.org: An Amazing Cache of Old-Time Radio

You'll never know the healing my hobby of collecting old-time radio shows (and I listen to every last one of them!), in hand with finally getting to play a guitar again in earnest, wreaked upon me, little by little, after a near-lifetime of having been a mis-diagnosed manic depressive. (It turned out, after all, that I bear an acute anxiety disorder, not manic depression.)

I even did my own radio comedy show for a year here in Las Vegas. (How else would I have come up with a crack such as I dropped earlier? ) Did it the old-time, old-fashioned way, too: sketches, dialogues, sound effects, the works, I wrote the scripts each week, and we played blues or jazzy blues in between the routines (that was a personal triumph, getting to play the like of vintage John Lee Hooker or Charlie Patton on the radio!), and ending each show with an actual old-time radio show that aired on the same date, back in the year, as I was on that night.

(The only reason I had to stop: the sponsorship was only enough to buy the air time, and I couldn't afford to do the show just for the air time being paid anymore.)

When Iím singing blues, Iím singing life. People that canít stand to listen to the blues, theyíve got to be phonies.---Etta James
Without a guitar, I'm like a poet with no hands.---Mike Bloomfield.
Without music I may feel blind, atrophied, incompetent, inexistent.---Duke Ellington.

https://soundcloud.com/easyace/the-last-man-standing
EasyAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #42 (permalink)

I would suggest that we raise taxes and pass some laws.

That always fixes everything!!!

Unread 08-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #43 (permalink)
jerkface

Quote:
1. I am a nice guy but I don't like comments like yours to just dispense a drug like Thorazine.
2. I do work with NAMI to help remove the stigma and my comment was to show others where to go if they want to help. If you don't want to you don't have to.

Have a nice day.
I am glad you do work with NAMI (I am a member). I suffer from Bipolar I, but I function very well by sticking to my regimen, and my support group (AA). I try to stay out of my own way. It helps me anyway. Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyAce View Post
Send them here: archive.org: An Amazing Cache of Old-Time Radio

You'll never know the healing my hobby of collecting old-time radio shows (and I listen to every last one of them!), in hand with finally getting to play a guitar again in earnest, wreaked upon me, little by little, after a near-lifetime of having been a mis-diagnosed manic depressive. (It turned out, after all, that I bear an acute anxiety disorder, not manic depression.)

I even did my own radio comedy show for a year here in Las Vegas. (How else would I have come up with a crack such as I dropped earlier? ) Did it the old-time, old-fashioned way, too: sketches, dialogues, sound effects, the works, I wrote the scripts each week, and we played blues or jazzy blues in between the routines (that was a personal triumph, getting to play the like of vintage John Lee Hooker or Charlie Patton on the radio!), and ending each show with an actual old-time radio show that aired on the same date, back in the year, as I was on that night.

(The only reason I had to stop: the sponsorship was only enough to buy the air time, and I couldn't afford to do the show just for the air time being paid anymore.)
Bless your heart Ace! That is so cool. My Grandparents were in old radio out of Clevland, OH. My Grandmother is 97, and still talks about her radio days. Grandpa worked some stints with Marshall Jones (later aka Grandpaw Jones from Hee Haw).
duck2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
...Good Lord This world is CRAZED> I am the VOICE of Reason?

This is true.

What kind of a world have we created where the pressures of standard society cannot be negotiated by MANY people?

There are levels of function: within society AND apart from society.

If we fear the "mentally ill" while we throw down Paxil by the carload we haven't really seen the issue, only the symptoms.

We are ALL subject to bouts of "mental illness" just as assuredly as getting the flu once in a while.

The strata of society deems we must get along with others or else be self-isolated (or isolated by State mandate) for a while. The American Indian society in some places had a lodgehouse for warriors to recuperate before rejoining the general population, and another for the lactating women, is this true?

I have a psychiatric condition known as PTSD, that manifests as major depressive disorder. There are times I know I have to "bunker down" and isolate for a while.

Happily, over the decades there has been much improvement through therapies and psycopharmacological treatments. I have never been adjudicated a mental defective or a threat to society but believe me, they ask us vets all the time, "Do you have thoughts of harming yourself or others?"

If you answer yes at any time, you might find yourself on a locked psychiatric ward at the VA.

Our "free" society assumes that you give a guy the benefit of doubt until you find out differently.

How it is NOW is how it has evolved LEGALLY. I'm not sure how much change I "personally" want to see (except better pay for mental healthcare professionals), having been a "patient class person" who still would like to enjoy my full Constitutional rights for a while longer.

I believe it comes down (as I think it should) on the question of crimes committed.

We all can be crazy once in a while, that's part of contemporary life. But if you let it slop over into other people's lives, there's hell to pay. And I think that's how it should be managed (kind of like how it's done now).

People in society who want "problem people" to magically disappeer from view better be careful what they wish for. The "bad day" you answer for may someday be your own.

In the meantime, I'm for compassion, generally. And incarceration for those that cannot (for whatever reason) be "responsible" for themselves.
River, duck2k, lpcustom69 and 6 others like this.
sonar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertzie View Post

But when someone with a real mental illness comes forward, people shun them to the dark corners of the world. What's the deal with that?
Amen. For some reason addiction is glamourous? I HAMMER my Addict friends>calling them on their BULLSH@T! Have some BackBone. I am not an addictive type. I drank HARD for years and quit overnight(11 years). I did this because IT GOT OLD! I go to bars >no problem. Most addicts BELIEVE they deserve their drink or drugs. It is REAL tiring. AA I think CAN be helpful. I really believe in the HUMAN spirit. Alot of addicts are good-looking and GREAT liars. They excude charisma. Charltans are charismatic.

Real damage-cases SMELL and are violent. They have zero appeal. Drunks and addicts have "cool' stories. True lunatics have two by fours. SCARY STUFF!
matty666 and Skintaster like this.
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #46 (permalink)
jerkface

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonar1 View Post
Happily, over the decades there has been much improvement through therapies and psycopharmacological treatments. I have never been adjudicated a mental defective or a threat to society but believe me, they ask us vets all the time, "Do you have thoughts of harming yourself or others?"

If you answer yes at any time, you might find yourself on a locked psychiatric ward at the VA.
Believe me - I spent time on the "flightdeck" at the VA; not a very pleasant experience.
River and Skintaster like this.
duck2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck2k View Post
Bless your heart Ace! That is so cool. My Grandparents were in old radio out of Clevland, OH. My Grandmother is 97, and still talks about her radio days. Grandpa worked some stints with Marshall Jones (later aka Grandpaw Jones from Hee Haw).
I have a few vague memories of hearing some vintage radio shows first-run when I was a small boy and my grandmother would babysit me so Mom could break away a couple of hours until Dad got home from work (this was toward the end of what we call the old-time radio era, but I remember vaguely hearing the soap opera Pepper Young's Family and Bob & Ray's mid-morning CBS workout), but when I re-discovered the art in recent years I had this advantage---it really wasn't my nostalgia, so I could listen and appreciate it for itself, not as clanking nostalgia but as living, breathing art.

I'm still amazed at just how much of the old-time radio era managed to be preserved. (My own collection is now five thousand shows and counting.) And, I'm amazed even more at how much of it still stands up as first-class comedy, especially compared to the garbage that's being passed off as comedy these days.
duck2k and Tim Fezziwig like this.

When Iím singing blues, Iím singing life. People that canít stand to listen to the blues, theyíve got to be phonies.---Etta James
Without a guitar, I'm like a poet with no hands.---Mike Bloomfield.
Without music I may feel blind, atrophied, incompetent, inexistent.---Duke Ellington.

https://soundcloud.com/easyace/the-last-man-standing
EasyAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #48 (permalink)

Making art and music can help some people, as part of a larger treatment, or just as an outlet. It's far from being any sort of 'fix-all' though...

Wesley Willis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rawhdney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
You noticed this where? That doesn't wash with my personal experience, at all. Unless you're talking about the cashiers' window at the Betty Ford Clinic.
Might just be my screwed up family then. Between alcoholics and pill poppers, it's pretty pathetic.
bertzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
This is true.

What kind of a world have we created where the pressures of standard society cannot be negotiated by MANY people?

There are levels of function: within society AND apart from society.

If we fear the "mentally ill" while we throw down Paxil by the carload we haven't really seen the issue, only the symptoms.

We are ALL subject to bouts of "mental illness" just as assuredly as getting the flu once in a while.

The strata of society deems we must get along with others or else be self-isolated (or isolated by State mandate) for a while.

I have a psychiatric condition known as PTSD, that manafests as major depressive disorder. There are times I know I have to "bunker down" and isolate for a while.

Our "free" society assumes that you give a guy the benefit of doubt until you find out differently.

How it is NOW is how it has evolved LEGALLY. I'm not sure how much change I "personally" want to see (except better pay for mental healthcare professionals), having been a "patient class person" who still would like to enjoy my full Constitutional rights for a while longer.

I believe it comes down 9as it should) on the question of crimes committed.

We all can be crazy once in a while, that's part of contemporary life. But if you let it slop over into other people's lives, there's hell to pay. And I think that's how it should be managed (kind of like how it's done now).

People in society who want "problem people" to magically dissapeer from view better be careful what they wish for. The "bad day" you answer for may someday be your own.

In the meantime, I'm for compassion, generally. And incarceration for those that cannot (for whatever reason) be "responsible" for themselves.
Good stuff Sonar. I always tell people DO NOT PISS YOURSELF OR TALK TO YOURSELF> in public>do it at home I come at this from the INSIDE. I really believe I'm sane? I know that working with the mentally ill is DANGEROUS to the psyche. I see alot of my co-workers with "THE LOOK"> they have "crossed over".

I BELIEVE WE ARE ALL MAD! Some just "hide it better"> thus they are called "SANE". What a fine line. I know I have some "depression" DON"T WE ALL? I deal with it by CREATING art. We are ALL neroutic. We have the 21 st Century Blues!

Unread 08-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #51 (permalink)

Thanked 1,098 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Great post, good points. Obviously, the severity and duration of symptoms requiring treatment of some kind varies greatly, and "the mentally ill" cannot be shoeboxed.

My personal problem is what happens when someone requiring intense treatment of medium duration (he/she is having a relatively acute difficult time) acknowledges they need help and goes looking for it. Most private practitioners turn them away - in my experience, ALL do so. They don't want the hassle, and don't need the business nor money. No public facility will treat them inpatient for more than a day or two, at best. The price tag at the private facilities that will treat them is as I posted above - more than the vast majority can come up with in their wildest dreams.

That ain't right.
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #52 (permalink)

My son's mom was a job coach for the mentally ill for years. She was also a group home supervisor for a bit.

There are certainly people out there who should be in an institution who aren't, because the institution system has been gutted, mainly. Amongst her clients were a couple whom I'm sure I will end up reading about one day for murder and/or molestation. I wish I had an easy answer to Skinny's OP question, but I don't. The balance between the rights of the individual and the rights of society is very fine indeed.

In a perfect world these people would be cared-for by family. Group homes work with many who suffer the milder forms of MI, but as Tim will tell you, there are too many residents there who by all rights should be institutionalized, if necessary involuntarily.

That so many wind up out on the streets reflects poorly on us, I think, but then, if someone doesn't want to be in a group-home or institution, where does society gain the right to coerce it?

These are thick, chewy questions.
Thumpalumpacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
...I BELIEVE WE ARE ALL MAD! Some just "hide it better"> thus they are called "SANE". What a fine line...

Yeah when they ask, "Are you currently having thoughts of harming yourself or others?" sincerety is the hardest thing to fake. Once you've got that wired you're home free. If you ask, "Aren't YOU?" well, your family might be able to pick you up in thirty days.

It's gotta be hard to spot the Hinckley types, they're so close to being like the average person!

Guys on your ward may not be harmless, they may be in fact more honest, but neither are millions walking among us who are NOT slobbering as they shuffle down the street, undermedicated.
Tim Fezziwig and Roberteaux like this.
sonar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhdney View Post
Making art and music can help some people, as part of a larger treatment, or just as an outlet. It's far from being any sort of 'fix-all' though...

I LOVE Wesley Willis...growing up outside Chicago i was exposed to heavy ammounts of Wesley and he had a lot of good friends and bandmates that kept him wrangled for the most part...artistic outlets helped him VERY much...when he fired the fiasco for a Casio Keyboard i was pretty disappointed though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malikon View Post
Then you have Idol who just brains them and fingers the squishy parts.

your idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #55 (permalink)

I did a 12 week stint during my nursing training in a mental hospital. An open ward for the chronically ill. Man, not for me. you take 1 step forward and three steps back. Everything from bipolar, psychopaths (the real ones who just don't seem to have normal human emotions, dangerous too) to paranoid schizofrenics. It was all about nicotine and cafeine.
Always a chance one would try to kill himself. Separations. Trying to get them to adhere to a daily schedule and to take their meds was hard. Because it was open they could easily get drugs which worsened everything. And these people would never get better. Up down, up down but never back into the real world on their own again.

Respect for the people who work day in day out with them.

Give me the physically ill and wounded. Either they get better or they die. You at least get some result because of your efforts.
River, jeff_farkas, duck2k and 3 others like this.
Unread 08-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #56 (permalink)

I would take away their internet access. It might not help them in any way but it would reduce the number of idiots posting on MLP.
teame1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #57 (permalink)

Youth in Asia.
Caoimhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #58 (permalink)
V.I.P. Member

a lot of the mentally ill, would not be a threat if they had treatment. and for treatment, you don't need to institutionalize them. how about an outpatient care system for those who are not or who are no longer a threat to others due to treatment? that way someone is monitoring their care, and someoen is there to know if they are taking their meds and how they are doing.

problem is, as River pointed out, most mentally ill patients can't afford it. i know many with mental issues. in Canada we treat them on an outpatient basis, paid for out of our taxes. in teh states? fu&k you, you can't afford to be well.

well, that's not quite true. there are some organizations who try to help but they have limited funds.

drugging the water is a really stupid idea. for people like me who are already on meds, what happens to me when the drug they put in the water interacts with the drug i'm already taking? and many of these drugs have serious side effects. you want to put the whole of your population on meds? what kind of fascist are you?

care for them. that is the answer. don't let them slip through the cracks. it would be cheaper in teh long run to pay for their meds and to pay for an outpatient treatment, than it would to either institutionalize them permanently or pretend they don't exist until someone loses their life because they lack said treatment.

what is the value of a human life? and what is our value if we refuse to care for those lives?
Lyrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #59 (permalink)

Drugs in the water? For free?
Sounds like a good idea. Will take care of the drug related problems in mexico.

I'm sorry. Just came out of that thread. Couldn't resist.
River and Tim Fezziwig like this.
Unread 08-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Rose View Post
drugging the water is a really stupid idea. for people like me who are already on meds, what happens to me when the drug they put in the water interacts with the drug i'm already taking? and many of these drugs have serious side effects. you want to put the whole of your population on meds? what kind of fascist are you?
Nicole I was ONLy kidding. If I drugged the Water it would be with LSD The Mentally Ill issue is DAMN complex. Luckily The guys I work with can be "swayed." The more intelligent "mentally ill " CAUSE HUGE PROBLEMS. Too smart to be swayed>too messed -up to think clearly. It is DAMN frustrating.

My friend and I had to "work with" a higher functioning guy. We would knock and he would yell"F' off". He Needed a STRONG arm on him. He was a Menace. He did not need to be on the streets. WE WON HIM OVER> by buying him a bike. He now is doing much better. We Get Paid NOTHING for our troubles. I have to work 65 hours aweek to make a decent coin. I view it is a Mission From God! I can handle EXTREME insanity for EXTREME amounts of time. God help me
Lyrica and Thumpalumpacus like this.