I spent the next day scraping the binding flush to the body. I used a razor blade and a block plane blade, and found it to be really easy and enjoyable to watch it all come together.
After scraping the binding I cut out the neck blank from a block of mahogany. The block was perfectly quarter sawn and very light weight.
This is what I had by the end of the weekend.
I spent some time fine tuning the tenon and got it fitting just right.
The first look after the first fitting.
I taped a piece of sandpaper to the flat surface of my cabinet saw and flattened the face of the headstock. Later I will glue on the holly face.
I marked the face with pencil marks so I could see the progress I was making
I then cut the truss rod slot and carved out the nut cavity in the headstock